False Neutral SP2 2018

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Brom66, May 19, 2020.

1. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Done 250 miles on Sunday, false neutral several times going up the box, whether you were taking east through villages & towns or out in the open giving it a handful, not any specific gear either

Is it me or ???

2. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

No Brom it’s not you, all my blades through the years seem to hit false neutrals.

3. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

Check your chain's not loose.

Chin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

Is your quickshifter on the No1 setting for assistance?
    If it is try putting it in a higher setting so that it has a higher resistance and needs a more positive kick before changing gear.
    I found on setting 1 it was too keen to cut the spark but didnt always follow up with a gear change however on settingv2 or 3 thus didnt happen and the number of fluffed changes dropped to almost nil

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

I wish it was that simple Chin, bike is less than a year old with 300 miles now, although that doesn't mean anything. It did it a few times om my first ride when I got it last September did 46 miles, Sunday no different never had a bike find neutral so much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Paul how do you check this ? Don't say RTFM !

I had a mingle with the mode settings on Sunday where do you find the Q/S adjustment ,as well as the suspension settings, need to soften that big time my nuts were impersonating piles on Sunday:eek:, suspension is far harder than my 1299 was

7. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Really i thought it was just the SC77's !

8. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

False neutrals from first gear to second would suggest the QS, but you say it happens in any gear, so I'm stumped?. After watching Dave Moss, suspension setting has changed my bike dramatically, especially when cornering, bike just tips in so much easier. You'll definitely notice the difference. A flappy chain usually causes false neutrals or the total opposite where it's hard to get into/find netrual.

Hope you find out what's causing it.

Chin

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paul Longstaff

@Brom66
    With ignition on just press both the mode key and the up or down key together. This takes you into the menu of settings and adjustments. It's really easy and you will suss it out in no time.
    I found the gear lever way too high so have dropped mine loads to make for easier and more positive changes. That no1 setting for me is just too sensitive( may be good on track though where surface is smoother).
    I'm now up to about 450 miles and on settings 2 or 3 I'm getting far few probs with missed gears, neutrals etc. So I think mileage and a less sensitive setting have helped a lot.
    Also if using the quickshifter make sure your fingers aren't hovering on the clutch lever as any pressure on the lever disengages the QS so if you try to change gear its more likely to be fluffed.
    Good luck I'm sure you will get there but your descriptions so far it sounds very similar to my own experiences

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Paul Longstaff

Done 80 miles of quite hard riding on twisties must have had hundreds of changes and only 1 dodgy one going from 1st to 2nd.
    That's prob acceptable to me as every bike I've ever had has thrown a dodgy gear change at me now and again yet I remain convinced they will become even fewer with more and more miles on it.

11. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

As said changing the QS setting sorted mine straight away. Rare it happens now and normally me if it does.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Paul Longstaff

That's brilliant mate. Today I actually put the 2 small spanners I use for the gear shift lever adjustment back in my cabinet from under the seat.
    I think I'm happy with is position now, took a while though.
    Banging down the box while heavy braking into a corner is just seriously nice to do. I can feel it becoming addictive :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  13. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

Had my QS fitted for a week now, got a few false neutrals early doors when I forgot to keep the revs on (dropping the throttle off to pull clutch in by habit) the install guide says need minimum of 1750rpm when changing up and to drop the throttle off when going down. Cheers for the tip about the levels Paul seems a lot smoother on 2 than it did on level 1

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Did 200 plus today with the Mrs in-toe:rolleyes: never missed a gear, dam I forgot I was on the ZZR every home should have one, It just ashame Kawasaki are putting it to rest at the end of this year. Give it a Q/S & Blipper Semi Active Suspension & Flash Dash, imho it would put the H2 tourer to shame

15. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

I will have butcher with this aswell thanx Paul

• Like Like x 1
  16. stuart_g

stuart_g Active Member

I think i am on standard qs setting 2 and standard lever positioning. Never had a false neutral at all even going from fist to second. The issue i sometimes get is the lever stays in the up position for a couple of seconds and then i feel hit hit my boot as it returns. Bit annoying at times.
    I might adjust the lever up a bit as it may be that i’m pushing the lever up too much and causing it to jam or something.
    Bit confused as to what could cause this as the lever and everything feels fine.

17. Paul Longstaff

I've never had the lever stay up , I think I would try loosening it off the spine and wiggling it to see if it finds a happy natural position before tightening up again and defo have a play with the height adjustment. Once it's right it makes for a much nicer, more positive and easier shift.
    Good luck

18. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Another 200 miles done today, not one false neutral, although it wasn't has full on as the last ride out, more of a bimble.
    Another issue is the gear lever sticking slightly between 3rd 4th same as stuart g above quotes, but other than that an enjoyable day apart from all the Police speed checks.

19. Paul Longstaff

Had a little run around on mine yesterday and again the QS was fine. I tend to use the clutch for going into 1st though and also going up from 1st unless it's a full on open throttle but that's just my own preference.
    This is a very quick bike and certainly has the legs over my zx10 (it was an older one though).
    The only fault I'm.finding is it doesnt like below 3000 rpm it tends to hunt around a little, a minor thing and I'm only aware when in the 20mph zone where I live.
    Other than that its bloody quick, bloody agile and bloody cramped :)

20. stuart_g

stuart_g Active Member

I adjusted my gear lever up a bit, only half a turn on the shift rod. Went out for a ride and still had the lever hang a couple of times. Both times it was when the engine was under more load accelerating from low speed in a higher gear. If i shifted with it not under heavy load then it was silky smooth.I also went in to neutral going from 1st to 2nd a couple of times, never had this ever before and was at low speed. This i believe was totally me not the bike. I may adjust the lever down just 1/4 turn on the shift rod and try again. I remember on my 2013 blade i had to slightly adjust the lever position to get it comfortable.i don’t think i’ll ever get rid of the lever hanging but just need to get to a comfortable lever position.

• Like Like x 1