Fibreglass work

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by dern, Aug 9, 2020.

1. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Once learned, the art of fibreglass repair never leaves you. I know it’s virtually invisible but the slight red colour is the pair patch. If you need any tips just ask :p:confused:o_O

upload_2020-8-9_12-30-19.png

Attached Files:

#1 dern, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

It's a right messy job isn't it, but I bet that's now as solid as the rest of the bodywork :D

3. dern

dern Well-Known Member

It was a 20 year old kit and I measured out the resin roughly and then tried to put the hardener in as per the instructions. The nozzle had blocked though and instead of unblocking it properly I squeezed a bit harder and all of it came out. I then had about a minute to complete the job. D'oh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dfw100

dfw100 Active Member

Nope. Just can’t see where you’ve made the repair.
    Perfection indeed

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. R.M

R.M Member

My first job at 17 was in a fibreglass shop. Bloody hell the initial smell was unreal, but you got used to it after a while. A messy job to say the least. Did a lot of work for fish farms (tanks etc) Alot of body kits for rally cars also. Tops for camper vans, repairs to hoppers for tractors etc. A lot of heat is generated while the fibreglass cures. Hate to think the amount of glass dust that's in my lungs as PPE wasn't a priority in the early 90's

6. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Went back to my body shop training manuals, not sure if after all these years a few pages are missing, but try as I might, couldn't see any instructions regarding adding ketchup to the mix, still never to old to learn :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. dern

dern Well-Known Member

It's not ketchup, that would be insane. It's the blood of the chicken I sacrificed. I wasn't keen but the instructions were adamant that the chicken was required.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Bad move Dern, your gonna have foxes around sh*tting all over yer bike matey, stick to ketchup next time ;)

• Funny Funny x 3