Fireblade C-ABS Problem Thread C-ABS owners please look here.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Pete1987, Apr 8, 2013.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

This comes up quite often: people speaking of 'rider's aids' as if they're demonic.

Most on here are aware I have a 2018 - with 'rider aids'. The thing is, most of us turn them right down or off, because we want to feel that we're riding the machine, not IT controlling us. But none of these aids ride the bike for us. Electronic suspension is not a rider aid. Once it's set, it is set. It is merely adjusted electronically rather than manually.

Engine mapping modes should not sincerely be regarded as rider aids. I have experimented with the various modes (city/windy roads/track) and there is little discernible difference between the three - save for the difference in power between level 1 and level 5.

Traction control is a feature I have turned off. Again, it reduces the 'feel' of the bike (out of corners) and might best benefit those on a track with race rubber. I have said before on this form that I think these electronics are 'gimmicky' in that once set, the job's done.

Just giving my two bobs/cents/euros worth:).

2. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Honda have played the game and spun it out until all machines are out of manufacturers warranty. Just what they wanted. I'd hate to have to put a warranty on a used one from a dealer, or are Honda stopping their resale from Honda dealers, I wonder.

3. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

I was just going to add .............................nope, been there said that and moved on, I went against every single principle in my body buying another Honda after owning a potential widow making ABS model, and suffered the complete don’t give a f**k reaction from Mr Honda to those of us who suffered complete brake failure.
    The only reason being I really love blades having had one for the last 20 years, thankfully my totally manual 2014 (bar the steering damper) is everything a blade should be, and it will be the last one I ever hand over my hard earned wonga to them.

Still think Honda as a corporation are a pile of s**t, but at least I am still alive to think that and say it.

#283 Kentblade, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. blusta

blusta New Member

Unfortunately Kevin I was unaware of such a wide spread and serious issue, I wanted an abs model so I bought one only buy into shite, and now I’m sitting with a potential lemon and at a cost to my pocket and also my head when riding!
    Believe or not these conversations about such issues are only on forums that you find out about once bought bike with issue and join forums to research which nigelrb quite rightly points out, these issues are not published anywhere so how are you to know until you buy one.

5. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Couldn’t agree more brother, bought my 2010 in 2012 when my previous blade was nicked, it was a simple purchase at a local dealer, very low mileage immaculate bike, didn’t even consider anything about ABS, never even crossed my mind to think they would be an issue, oh how wrong I was, 2 years of total misery and Increasing anger that a major manufacturer was prepared to walk away from the loyal customers and leave you to rot, crunching miles daily into London become agame of Russian roulette, in the end the dealer made a trade up to a new 14 model as painless as he could after seeing the issues they could not fix, that bike went missing from sale for nearly a year before they listed it for sale again, you can only wonder why and what happened in that time, I now see it’s been SORNed for some time, could be a multitude of reasons why, anyone’s guess.

It was only after joining this forum, I realised the bike was not an isolated case, as I was being led to believe.

Feeling your pain my friend, I know where you are at.

6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Actually I did the same as @blusta and wasn't until I searched on here and found the abs threads after having a 'moment' with the old 11 plate that I found the extent of the issue. All I'd done was research the upgrades from the older models and look at a few professional reviews and they'd all been ok. Live & learn eh :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

I have same feelings bought last of repsol 15month ago levers not consistent in feeling . Keep looking at a R1 or S1000rr only thing stopping me is love the look and ride of back and the money loss . But then think what happens when really need them . Even considering taking off the abs system

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

9. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I wonder if the US version has the same issues?

10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yes....there's similar threads on US biker sites

11. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I wonder if it is still an ABS model after it's extended SORN.

12. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face! Rip the lot out as it the only problem with an otherwise awesome bike!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

Solved the problem on mine . It’s off just put deposit on a s1000rr . Not waiting for it to happen when not expecting it . Sits back and waits for the slating

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

Good choice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. blusta

blusta New Member

Does anyone know or are aware of what the actual issue is with the front modulator, ie if it is to do with heat from the exhaust/engine, what is the problem/damage being caused?

16. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Honda probably know but they ain’t letting on. Recall would cost them a fortune.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Of course they know, and that’s why they ditched the system.

I still contend there are 2 issues, at play, the soft lever and total brake failure.

The total brake failure as I have written before, is IMO a loss of communication between operating the brake lever which activates the stroke simulator, which in turn advises the ABS ECU that you are braking, and the appropriate lever pressure is calculated. Those that have had the lever pull straight back to the bar, with zero feeling from the lever, will then know that if you release and reapply, you always get full braking operation.
    This indicates the ECU does not know you have pulled the lever the first time, it’s as simple as that, and that is a different issues to the soft lever and heat issues etc.

There is much truth in the rumours that Honda pulled out of the Bosch partnership during the developement phase to then produce the flawed CABS and Bosch continued on its own way to finish the system and sold to everyone else.
    Japanese corporate arrogance, no more, no less, and the customers paid the price.

#297 Kentblade, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  18. blusta

blusta New Member

Talking about 'loss of communication' I read on another forum somewhere that one of the other fixes that was carried out on a blade was updating or changing the abs ecu (I can't find where i read this), but what's interesting is as you say it's not just a case of bleeding or replacing the modulator (because of heat exposure), as the issue is not a simply one time fix it's more spread across the system, another forum a chap had his modulator changed and bleed but after 125miles the issue returned.

Apparrently on the 600rr Honda moved the front modulator but have not been able to find any other write up's as to whether this change rectifed the issue etc.

On my previous non abs blades I did always change the master cylinder as the oem is soft and you really do notice the difference once changed, however here on the c-abs the lever feel constantly changes and so in truth this system is as you say flawed and no matter how much time or money you spend trying to fix this will the problem always be there? Plus as mentioned the great c-abs system is no longer fitted to the new blade, 'curious minds inquire, hmmm'

Personally I wanted the abs for obvious addional safety, when I had my last non abs blade someone pulled right across in front of me and I grabbed and stepped on all the brakes which caused me to lock up and slide and I do wonder that if I had abs (one that works that is) would I have stopped sooner as the brakes would not have locked up?????????

I did consider getting the new blade but are we to soon in the release to know what issue we have here with all the new electronics, and as for S1000RR, well what issue's dont they have, from mechanical to switch gear to engines cutting out etc. I really do love the blade as I had a 2010 R1 years ago and it just wasn't my cup of tea and went back to the blade, as for my current blade it's not cutting it you know the brakes are shite and thats a fact, plus others have stated that their bikes started off with inconsitent lever feel and then lead on to brake failure so is my plight imminent????

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

There's a few on here with 2017-18s. I haven't heard/read of any problems with these - it that's any help.

20. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

if heinicken made a superbike, it would be a:
    honda crb with:
    180kg wet weight
    180hp
    no TC
    no ABS
    no fly by wire or pwoer mode
    decent size screen & fairing
    single sided swing arm
    easy access to parts for maitnenance