First Blade ... New Fuel pump needed??

Discussion in 'New Members' started by hbdent91, Jul 9, 2018.

1. hbdent91

hbdent91 New Member

Hi guys,

Very proud to say I am a new owner to a 2006 blade. She's a fine machine with only 2k miles on the clock. I decided after looking around for a while to buy from a dealership, so I'm waiting for a call from 'Chiswick Honda' to let me know I can come and pick her up.

Got the call today .... wooopie

Not quite. Unfortunately the bike needs a new fuel pump. Which they have ordered and should be fitted either weds or thurs.

Should I be worried?

2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Wouldn't have thought so.
    It's good that they've found it as an issue, told you and are fixing it.

Welcome

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike.
    2,000 miles? That's a real score. Presumably it's in mint condition.

I wouldn't be alarmed about the fuel pump. This is often a consequence of bikes being 'unused'. The fuel tends to 'gum up' a bit like varnish if sat for a long time. Ideally a stored bike should have the fuel removed - but this is not always practical. (Coincidentally, I am about to start a thread related to 'Fuel Stabilisers'. It might interest you)

Also, have a good look at the tyres. If they are original tyres, i.e. 12 years old, they might be showing signs of perishing. And, despite the bike's little use, the air filter should also be checked. Quite often, creepy crawlies seem to find their way into the filter to nest.:rolleyes:

4. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Hi welcome, good choice

5. hbdent91

hbdent91 New Member

Thanks for the replies

phew ... feeling a bit more relaxed now

The bike looks super clean to me. The tyres are Pirelli Diablo Corsa. Not sure if they are the original tyres or not, but they have plenty of life left in them. Before they hand over the bike the dealership do a health check in the workshop. I'm assuming they will check the air filter, but once i get it ill double check. Thanks nigelrb

6. hbdent91

hbdent91 New Member

20180706_150333.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. hbdent91

hbdent91 New Member

20180706_150415.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I have Pirellis on a couple of bikes. I love them, but here we're talking personal choices.

Tyre manufacture dates are stamped on the sidewall:

Tyre Date.jpg

9. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Defo check the date in the tyres. They could be original with only 2k on the clock. But like it's been said. 12 years old could be like plastic...worth a change from a safety point of view.

10. hbdent91

hbdent91 New Member

Guys,

got a call today and the tyres are the original tyres! You lot have saved me, I would not have checked this if it wasn't for you so big thank you!

My next question is ... should I expect to pay for a set of tyres myself? or can I get a pair of the dealership ie can they sell me a bike with 12 year old tyres? or do they have to put a new set on

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Tricky one. If the bike is sold with MoT you might have a case. HOWEVER, MoT rules make no mention of rejecting a tyre because of 'age': https://www.mot-testing.service.gov...-Wheels-tyres-and-suspension.html#section_5.2

It is though, universally acknowledged that a tyre dated at least 10 years earlier MIGHT present problems, although if the rubber is not visibly perished, it will just be harder.

In the final analysis, if the dealer won't cough up, I believe you're still on a winning streak if you fork out 270.00 for a new set.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hbdent91

hbdent91 New Member

Thank again nigelrb

Will put a new set on if I need to

• Like Like x 1
  13. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Check the side walls very carefully for cracking, it will provide a good argument for the dealer to replace them for free. If not then have a chat with them, I would hope they would at least replace them at what they cost them.

I bought a bike that needed new tyres and the Dealer was going to replace them with Michelins whilst I wanted pricier Bridgestones. We agreed that I would just pay the difference between the two prices. Sometimes all it needs is a conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Check Oponeo and Tyre Leader for new tyres. I've used both and their prices are good. Metz m7rr are about £222 a pair shipped at the moment.

15. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Hi and welcome !