First Ever Track Day at Donington Park

Discussion in 'Pictures & Videos' started by TheRamJam, Aug 3, 2016.

1. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

I chose Ron Haslams race school from various recommendations from friends. I did the Premier course on the CBR 600RR bikes.

After signing on its a quick 15 min introduction outlining the events ahead, what each flag means, what the coloured cones mean and the different hand signals that the instructors use whilst on track and other basic safety stuff. Soon after we headed into pitlane to get paired up, meet out instructor (1 instructor per 2 riders) for the day and collect the bike.

A quick chat with the instructor gives him some insight into what we are looking to get from the day and what sort of level or riding is at. It was a slightly damp day so the first fifteen minute session was just more or less done at sighting lap pace. Getting comfortable on the bike, learning the track, and concentrating on you're braking markers, turn in points etc.

After a quick debrief we were back out for our second session. The rain was a lot heavier but the pace a bit quicker. Am starting to feel a lot more comfortable on the bike now, and learning to trust the tyres even in the wet. Still a few corners am struggling with though, just need to keep the head up and look through the turn.

Third session now and everything is starting to come together. I know the track quite well now and can feel myself going quicker and quicker. Unfortunately the other guy out in my group was quite a bit slower than myself so it was difficult to go any quicker as the instructor kept slowing down to allow him to catch up which was a little frustrating at times as I knew I could have gone much faster.

Still I was happy with the day, kept it rubber side up, unlike a few riders in the group and my wet weather riding has now been given a huge confidence boost. Even though I didn't quite get my knee down on the day I was given really positive feedback from my instructor who said if it were a dry day then knee down would not be a problem for me.

Few pics below :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

For a normal ,self taught road rider like myself , it was a brilliant first step up to faster riding and gave me loadsmore confidence.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

3. Karlanthonycox

Karlanthonycox New Member

Absolutely class day bud, I went last year and the rain was really bad, it learnt me alot what the bikes can do, loved it! Glad u had a good day _MG_1296.JPG _JEN6062.JPG

4. paul farmer

paul farmer New Member

Great to hear guys, I'm doing the track day on 26th July, can't wait, praying for no rain haha

• Like Like x 1