Fitting crankcase cover 2007 1k

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Lock, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

After snapping bolt off in crankcase cover, had to take the cover off to get the remainder of the bolt out (luckily that wasn't a pain).

The cover was a bit tight to get off but few taps with a rubber mallet got it!. So cleaned it all up and thought before I'd put sealent on would give a dry run on putting it back. Is a real pain to align everything up (dowels, idle gear shaft etc). Managed it once and was really tight to get on - any experience/ideas on how to make this easier as with sealant on will be a right pigs ear if it doesn't go on first time. Cheers

2. Lock

Lock Active Member

Fitted the clutch (crankcase) cover back on today - found a great link on 1000RR.net that gave a tip worth the weight in gold - https://www.1000rr.net/forums/modif...h-2006-1000rr-installation-lots-pictures.html

'Now this part is worth the price of admission alone. You can try to get the cover on and an hour later kick your bike over, or you can do it the easy way which I was told how to do it. Remove the timing cover from the clutch plate and start aligning the cover over the two shafts that need to slide into the cover. While holding pressure against the cover, use a rachet and socket on the nut under the timing cover to slowly turn clockwise to turn the engine over. Keep doing this slowly and the two rods will come into alignment and the plate will slide right on.'

Used a gasket (so much easier and cleaner than the Hondabond) and cranked the engine a few times by hand and yup all slipped in nicely! Saved me getting the hammer out and kicking the bike over!

• Like Like x 2