Flat battery after 3 weeks

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Trav_1981, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

Good evening,

I have a 2019 Blade SP2 and came to start it up today and the battery was flat! I rode it back from Wales to Yorkshire only 3 weeks ago so wouldn’t have thought it would be flat already! First blade I’ve owned but wouldn’t have thought that any modern bike would drain a battery in 3 weeks? Has anybody else experienced this?

Cheers,
    Lee

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

Has it got a tracker or alarm?

3. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

Only the standard stuff.

4. Iain

Iain Active Member

That does not answer the question.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

Ok, I don’t know. Even if it has as standard it shouldn’t drain the battery?

6. Iain

Iain Active Member

There have been a few posts on here saying the battery goes flat when a tracker has been fitted.

#6 Iain, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

Mines an 18 plate non sp and had to fit a new battery a year ago. Leave on the optimate now to keep it ticking over. Would imagine yours still covered under warranty so might be worth taking it back to dealer? Told me only covered 12 months warranty for battery :( about £65 for new. Few others have had to replace them as well.

8. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Don’t know for the 2019, but without a trickle charger both the 2015 and 2016 wouldn’t have started after three weeks (and that’s without an alarm or tracker). The 2016’s battery was stuffed and I changed it to a lithium iron in Feb 2019 and never had an issue since. IMHO it gives a better turn over rate, and whilst many say these don’t need a trickle charger I got a new one for it.

9. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

A 2019 SP2 would have a lithium battery as standard so either the battery was duff or something else wrong.
    The screen can display the charge rate when running so next time check and see what rate it shows?

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Paul Longstaff

Im sure My 2018 MY SP shows about 14.2v when its idling but thats off the top of my head I haven't specifically checked but I'm sure others have who can confirm the rate you should be seeing

11. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I’m assuming the Wales to Yorkshire trip was when you bought the bike. Trackers were fitted to these bikes as standard. So, let’s assume it has a tracker, weather or not you pay the subscription, it will need to be on a Lithium charger. Contact the previous owner or dealer to confirm the tracker was fitted, because if it was you’ll need to change the ownership with Datatool.
    I’d get this confirmation before you go down the route of any further diagnostics. There is a chance the original owner opted not to have a tracker as it wasn’t compulsory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

Thanks for the replies. The previous owner did say I had to change ownership with Datatool. I have just got an Optimate to keep it ticking over but think I will contact Honda. The battery is a Li one.

13. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Don’t mean to question you, but you have got an optimate that’s suitable for lithium batteries haven’t you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

I have, I got a Optimate 1 Duo today.. only by chance though a mate of me mentioned this to me otherwise my Optimate 2 would have been attached which isn’t suitable! Not sure what the outcome would have been but imagine not good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

Turns out it has a tracker on it, I emailed Datatool and received a call back today telling me it has a Trakking S7 fitted do I want to subscribe... Hmmm is it worth it??
    At least I know why the battery went flat!

16. Paul Longstaff

If it offers a decent insurance discount maybe worthwhile.
    Or
    If its stolen and then recovered because of tracker would you want it back?
    Are you paying the costs of a tracker to subsidise the insurers losses so they get a decent chance of recovery and salvage. What do you get out of the deal given you're the one picking up the tracker fees???
    Remember if stolen and recovered it would still need to be disclosed at future renewals whether they pay a claim or not:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

My thoughts exactly Paul. If it was stolen they wouldn’t get very far by the sounds of it as the service they offer apparently alerts you if so much as the handle bars move without the ignition on. I’m going to take a punt for a ton and give it a whirl, the app is good by all accounts too. It’s on there so may aswell give it a bash see how it affects insurance etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Yes the duo can do both LFP & lead acid batteries. Very basic but useful.
    Yours is most probable fitted with a pea size 2.4Ah battery so it doesn't take long before is gets down to 12v and shuts down (if it has a good BMS on board).
    You will see zero V; you need to reset the bat either manually or using a more expesive charger that can reset it.
    14.5V is the spot on charging volts which you should get with the engine above 4000rpm

19. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

I've got a SP2, started last Sunday for the first time since July, forgot to plug in the optimate so does prove if standard it doesn't lose battery life.

Thieves are very clever these days, I've no doubt they will be able to defuse the Tracker before the bike is touched, if I'm correct Trackers works via a sim card, which is blockable. I

Bare in mind subscription cost outlay will be more than the extra insurance without, it was £30 a year more expensive to insure without the Tracker, subscription fee usually about £120 per year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Paul Longstaff

Since July........you need to be riding more :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1