flat battery

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by rebel, May 14, 2017.

1. rebel

rebel Active Member

hi need a bit of help started last year at the tt got up one morning bike wouldnt start flat battery its a 2010 bump started it and it was ok for the rest of the week the battery is 2 yrs old got home bike was ok for a coulple of months bike was left for 3 weeks started ok rode to work left for 9 hrs wouldnt start i checked the battery 12.7v 13.5 engine running the battery seems ok but i replaced it with a new one anyway still getting the same problem l can leave it for a coulple of weeks starts ok go out for a ride leave it for a coulple of hours and it wont start i have noticed when it does start it doesnt seem to turn over quite as fast as it used to thanks.

2. blake7

blake7 Active Member

Possibly a dodgy starter motor, I had one on mine.

3. rebel

rebel Active Member

thanks i had a horrilble feeling it might be the starter its a abs which means part of the abs has to come apart to get to the starter is there a way of testing it without taking it of

4. blake7

blake7 Active Member

You can test the resistance across the terminals of the motor and compare to workshop manual. If you lift the tank and prop it up, you can see the starter to test the points. Obviously disconnect the battery first.

Also, you can check how hot it gets when turning over. Mine got really hot which was another sign it was knackered.