Fluid leak ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by PauloHRC, Oct 28, 2018.

1. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

So .....arrived home after a couple of hours out on the bike, parked it up and turned the ignition off and this green fluid started pissing out from under the belly pan!!:eek:

On closer inspection it was coming out of the thinner of the two tubes that poke out of the hole in the belly pan near where the side stand is.

Any ideas on what the fluid is and why this happened?? o_O

Attached Files:

2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

would say coolant by the look of that mate and the pipe at the bottom of the belly pan is an overflow, have a look at the rest of the pipes to make sure there isnt any kinks? could be just to much in the system and its finding it's own level? the other pipe is a fuel over flow so have a smell just to rule that out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

That's what I thought at first but the coolant is blue.....this was like bright green?

What are the two overflow tubes for??o_O

4. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Had it happen to me a few months ago, overfilled the coolant and pissed out when stationary also noticed that running temp was a little higher than usual, syphoned some of the coolant out and all back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

did you make sure you got it all out the last time it was changed? sometimes a bit left in if the thermostat doesn't open fully? the overflow pipes are as they are called, if you overfill either it will get rid of the excess through the pipes out the bottom

• Like Like x 1
  6. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Bike was last serviced in February, had the whole of summer out of it and a track day. Coolant level has stayed consistent during this time and haven't had to top it up and is a nice clean blue colour.

So one is for fuel and one for coolant yes @raphael ?

My first thought was coolant but like I said this is bright green as you can see from the photo. Which pipe did yours leak out of @bradt ......thick or thin one??o_O

7. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Which pipe did yours leak out of @bradt ......thick or thin one??o_O[/QUOTE]

Sorry Paulo cant remember what pipe it was leaking from, I was too busy panicking thinking WTF is wrong
    But certainly a lot of coolant on the ground.

#7 bradt, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Coolant tastes slightly sweet. Don't glug a load of it though as it is pretty bad for you. Just touching your finger in it and dabbing it in your tounge will confirm if it is coolant or not, and remember this is one time when swallowing is a bad idea!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. raphael

raphael Elite Member

yes mate but im not sure which is which, sorry

10. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

If you use Motul 300V, you know it is a bright green color, so I would look at that, but from the photo the fluid doesn't look thick enough to be oil.

I thought coolant as well.

11. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Deffo coolant, and Honda Blue coolant does turn green in use.