For Sale Rules

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions & Feedback' started by JM1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. JM1

JM1 Active Member

How about some rules or guidelines in the for sale forums so that people can't just join the forum solely to post links to their ebay auctions?
    Maybe a minimum number of posts required before being allowed to post in for sale?
    List actual details of sale and contact details rather than just an ebay link?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

As a relatively new member of the forums, I'd like to make this observation if I may -

I've been put off recently by another forum that is particularly heavy handed in their "moderating" and has excessive rules & bureaucracy with regards to classifieds and other things. At the moment, this community strikes me as one which just goes along and runs well.

I'd err caution against rules for rules sake (not just relating to "for sale" items) and excessive bureaucracy and moderation - you might alienate a lot of new members that way (such as me :))

I think the idea of a small minimum number of posts is probably the least obtrusive (a la the discounts area) but then you run the risk of people posting dross to get access to certain features (and seen that recently on other forums as well).

I'm sure Rob has it all under control - just this community seems really good and I'd hate to see it go the wrong way - particularly before I come to Fireblade ownership! :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

A certain new member has posted 3 bikes for sale, one Fireblade, on this Forum and another Forum that I moderate on. I join Forums to talk bikes and help people out. If people only join to sell their stuff, in my opinion they can feck off somewhere else!!! PS I deleted his post on the other forum .

• Like Like x 1
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Great Point Megawatt. And I think this is exactly what JM1 was talking about.

Sossige, you're right that this forum has got a really good, free and easy feel and that is undoubtebly part of why the craic is so good here. My worry is that as it grows ever more popular there are those that will just tag on, exploit it and bug out. It's not the end of the world, because we've got enough members, like Megawatt and JM1 who are more than happy to Rotweil for us, bless 'em, but if it was email, you'd treat it as spam and bin it without reading it. This is just treating us like a captive audience in my view and it's not what I'm on here for. If somebody's got a bit of kit they think I might be interested in, have a go at selling it to me, don't just point at the shelf when I ask.

5. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Indeed - just I'd hate to see it go to the other extreme, which IMHO has happened to another forum I frequent :(

Time for a brew :)

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Black, one sugar if you're offering.

7. JM1

JM1 Active Member

No point in a suggestions and feedback forum if there aren't any admins or mods to read it though ;)
    I'm sure Rob will arrive eventually with thoughts on the subject.
    The strange thing is I normally hate wannabee forum moderators, but it's OK when real ones don't exist!

8. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

A second moderator is defiantly needed . Rob posted on the stickers thread a couple of days ago so he is about but not always . As the site grows he is going to have bring more moderators onboard

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I love how you always say defiantly instead of definitely :)

10. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

I thought it was Deffinately !

11. JM1

JM1 Active Member

It's definitely definitely mate:-
    D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y

12. dan.1moore1

lol its my bloody we browser changing my spelling mistakes to the wrong word

13. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Ha! They did teach me how to spell 30 odd year ago when I finished my schooling!

14. dan.1moore1

they didn't teach me at all

15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Dan's meant to be saying definitely?

I thought every time he wrote 'defiantly' he was just being a stubborn bugger! You know Owen Glyndwr and all that.

I wish my browser would spell check for me. It's switched on but doesn't give any assistance on here at all.

16. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I know that Rob is looking for a second moderator because he's very aware his workload is effecting his presence on the site.

17. dan.1moore1

I wonder hoe he will go about it

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Let's stop bumping this thread now! We're getting obsessed.

19. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Noticed that people are still joining just so they can spam their ebay ads.
    Any plans to address this?

20. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I did notice a member with low posts putting something in there. but thought I missed soemthing

ROB! what you Do now !!!! thought me had a time on forum limit and post limit?