Frame/mount repair

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Grape44, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Grape44

Grape44 Active Member

I had a lucky escape on Saturday, shame I can’t say the same for my bike......

An oncoming car turn across the front of me without spotting me, tried to get around the front but glanced off, lost control and hit a bollard. I was lucky to walk away but the bike was hit where the side engine mount (on rear of barrel) connects to the small branch off the frame. Sorry for poor description....I need to take pics.

basically the threaded mount on the barrel split and the frame branch mount smashed off.

is this likely to be repairable...?

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

First, happy to hear that you're okay.

Second, without pics is a bit difficult, but if the engine mount thread is broken that would mean taking engine out an re welding and tapping. That, with the frame repair also - again pending pics of damage - would write the bike off. As a 2005 model valued anything from £2500 - £4000 an insurer wouldn't repair it. (in my view)

If you're thinking not claiming, there's one heck of an amount of labour in it.:(

3. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Wouldn’t be allowed to be repaired in the uk I suspect

4. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

I concur with Nigel and Boothman it will be written off no question.
    Any structural damage is now an instant write off as they wont take the risk of there being unseen damage that causes a problem down the line.
    My daughter is a claims handler so was telling me just that, the other day.

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Big questions are: Did the driver stop? Do you have his/her details? Can you claim against the driver? I'm assuming you're in Hong Kong.