Front Brake vibes...

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Mr OCD, May 18, 2017.

1. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Sexual :oops:

2. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Simple.... it does require water! Warm of course

Two towels soaked in bucket with some car shampoo....

Come back from ride caked in flys and road crud.... place said towels over the front fairing and the smaller one on the tank... leave to soak for 5 mins and simply wipe off! Then just wipe over the rest of the bike with a small hand towel soaked with the same water.... once removed and dry I finish off with some Stardust or Showroom shine.... same with the wheels... every couple of months she gets a coat of Muck off miracle shine and regular ACF50 .... job done :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

He uses the juice from 10 local virgins :D it would be more if you could find anymore down there

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

How are you keeping the bits under the fairings clean then?

I assume you don't ride it in the wet given your cleaning regime :D

If did mine that way it would look like an off road bike within a month!

5. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Suspect bearing...

[​IMG]

Nice! :(

6. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

WD or GT on a rag and a wipe over or again damp cloth, it all takes much less time and without the Ingres of water everywhere... works for me and keeps the bike looking tip top:D

Just don't do rain! nasty stuff..... gets in all the places you don't need it to be.....

7. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

See what I'm saying..... Rain water/power washers= Rotted out bearings

Once the grease is out there a ticking time bomb to destruction....

Are they the new all balls or the OE bearings?

8. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Yep... yet the OE managed 25,000 miles with no issues. I simply replaced them as preventive maintenance as part of the work to the front end.

The picture is an All Balls Racing bearing... approx. two months old and has done 2000 miles. Feels really rough. Other side was fine though!

9. raphael

raphael Elite Member

That's worrying I have just replaced all mine with the same bearings and do pretty much the same mileage and conditions as you mate

10. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

I've done the rear as well so will be replacing them with SKF as well as a precaution. I wont buy ABR bearings again.

11. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Strange that ABR bearing has gone. I have used them in all my bikes that i've owned and never had any issue with them. At least hopefully you'll have solved you're issue when the new ones go in.

12. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Back together now.

Testing tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Good luck, I think you'll be fine. Looks like you solved the problem.

I to use a hose and sometimes a pressure washer to clean bikes, and have done so for many years, with no problems. It’s an easy target for someone to hit if you have a bearing go south. I don't think it’s a good idea to play a high pressure stream directly a seals, that’s looking for trouble, but I suspect your bearing problem is a product of more than splashing them with water for a couple of months, or every rotating machine on the planet would be stationary. And your bearings had seals. Could it not be just a dodgy bearing? When you pulled them apart did they still have grease in?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Quite possible a dodgy bearing as other side was fine. The dodgy bearing sounded like it had no grease, but lots of brown sludge found under seal when went to remove it.

Just moving the bike around in the garage and it sounds so much quieter.

15. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

My mate bought some bearings of flebay off a manufacturer (so-called) for his Bmw. Can't remember why he needed new or why he took them back out but we split them open and there was only about 60% of bearings in there. Shocking when he's pulling 120+wheelies. Ended buying BMW. Ps remember why he prob needed new ones wheelies!!

16. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Well that didn't fix the issue. :(

It's vastly improved but there is still high speed oscillation when braking hard from speed... bars also still feel a little vibey to me but that might be my imagination as I'm looking for problems from the vibration issue.

DTI has arrived so that's next step. Max. Tolerance is 0.2mm IIRC? Can anyone confirm?

If the discs are ok it has to be the front tyre as I cant think what else it could be - worth checking the rear?

17. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

0.3 runout on discs

IMG_0786.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Correct 0.2mm either side of rota, just make sure you get a good fixing and its well stabilised. What's the history with the tyre? ...... can't see it being an issue as your only getting this problem under braking! No vibes freewheeling and just completely off the brakes?.... is the issue worse under hard or light braking? I'm still going with my initial prognosis, brake discs issues:cool: only saying as I've seen it before on club racing/trackday bikes.... discs take a proper hammering without budgets to change on a regular basis.

19. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Wow 0.3!! I wouldn't be happy with that figure personally..... just see what they come out at first before you start get chimpy about some new ones:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Tyre was brand new three months ago (Michelin Power RS) and has just started to cup a tiny bit after 4000 miles but certainly not excessive. It is the first time I've run these on the blade though.

Free wheeling before I did the work gave very light vibration through the bars which I suspect was just the pads brushing the discs. Since the work there is barely anything noticeable other than road surface noise although it still feels a little too vibey to me. Issue is worse under hard braking, barely noticeable under light braking.

A few people have said the same now so I am trying to find a pair of discs to borrow for testing purposes. If that resolves it I will send the Oro's back to Brembo. I bought these discs from Daz off here as they had only done one events use. Checking the wear again last night they were 5mm, so brand new another words so I can't see how they would have taken a hammering and not be noticed?

Feeling rather peeved off with the bike now. I'm this < > close to calling it a day with the bloody thing! :(