Front calliper bolts

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by bonjo, Dec 6, 2019.

1. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Decided to get new ones as the bike will be due for a tyre change + 16k service.
    The service manual says the OEM ones are ALOCbolts
    Thanks to eagle eyed members, I ordered a Ti set from pro bolt on discount.
    So I fitted them using red loctite and not copper grease and torqued to 40 Nm instead of 45
    I did notice some differences don’t know if they are important or not. Have emailed pro bolt for their feedback

bolt head is smaller 12mm spanner as opposed to 14
    Bolt flange diameter is smaller by 1.5mm
    Bolt length under the flange is 2 mm shorter

anyone else noticed these?

2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Have been using the same bolts as these for nearly 60k mate(one set) and not had one problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

the oem bolts from memory are 62mm long which by bolt lengths is an odd size

most go for 60mm or 65mm which are standard bolt lengths

4. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Went for a test ride today, nothing collapsed
    Yes OEM are 62 and pro bolt 60 as you mention
    Having looked at the OEM, can see them stretch on the callipers. I think the latter would give first!
    Looking at mine, OEM have locking compound on them so low strength loctite is the order of the day.
    Rapha if I were doing it myself, would end up reusing them like you. I guess garages want to change them to cover themselves.

5. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Looks like a happy ending.
    Wrote to probolt about my findings.
    Their technical expert replied with explanations for the differences and put my mind at rest.
    BTW the slightly smaller flange diam fits & looks better as the OEM ones stick out a bit

6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

What is there technical explanation out of interest? (I used those bolts as well)

7. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Here is extract from the email

All of our products are test fitted and trialed on the bike in question before we list them on the website, even if sizes slightly differ to OEM we will always ensure the suitability and safety of a product specific to the bike.

Our bolt designs differ slightly from OEM specs, however, unlike OEM we manufacture in high grades of materials - Stainless steel (316) and Titanium (Ti-6Al-4V) and as such we have reduced the head diameters & machined out the heads for maximum weight saving. But this will have no impact on the safety or performance of the brakes or calipers

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1