Fuel tank overflow/ breather

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Flathead, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Flathead

Flathead Active Member

Hi all,

Looking for some help please.

On my 2010 model I've carelessly and annoyingly dropped a tiny M4 washer down what I'm pretty sure is the outlet for any fuel overflow/ breather for the fuel tank. It's positioned at about 9 o'clock as you sit on the bike underneath the fuel cap on the rim of the tank that the screws for the fuel cap screw into. I can see that the outlet tube goes down through the tank and now I've got the tank propped up virtually directly below it is an outlet from the tank so would I be correct in thinking that if I remove the flexi hose from the bottom of the tank I should find my washer or is it not as simple as that ie will I get covered in fuel?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Steve

2. vic_ster51

vic_ster51 Active Member

Remove it and find out :p Bit fuel wont harm if you want washer out.
    Seriously though, no, no fuel will come it its for overflow thats all.

3. Flathead

Flathead Active Member

Thanks Chris. Did that and no fuel but no washer either. Must be stuck. Going to empty the tank of fuel, remove the tank it and try and free and remove it that way. All this for a tiny washer that wont do any harm I guess but my OCD just won't allow me to leave it there.

4. vic_ster51

vic_ster51 Active Member

No need to drain the fuel. Try this with tank on or can remove tank with fuel in. You only get slight bit fuel come out from the fuel line when you remove it. Via the green quick release. Just push some rod semi flexi rod down the hole and see if it comes out or u can feel it. If you can feel it’s jammed stuck I wouldn’t worry about it won’t do any harm. Only place can go is the floor eventually