Garage roof replacement

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robbo52, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Robbo52

Robbo52 Active Member

Guys and Gals

I'm looking at replacing the roof on my garage. ATM, its a single skin metal corrugated effort with chipboard underneath. During the winter months, I do get a bit of condsensation on the floor and on the bike :(. The actual garage is just single brick construction with no insulation which probably doesnt help!

Anyway, been looking at rubber roofs, but shall I put SIP panels on the joists, then the rubber or just put the rubber straight onto some ply sheets?

Any help or previous experience greatly welcomed!

It'll be a DIY job to keep costs down as well

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Not sure whether this might help because I only have timber shed with rubber roof. However, I purchased 18mm ploystyrene insulation and cut to size between the roof battens. Not sure how it will go with condensation, but it certainly helped reduce my heating (small fan heater) winter.

3. Robbo52

Robbo52 Active Member

Cheers, thats also a possibility. Can't really run a heater, although Ive tried a small oil filled rad on low under the bike cover and didnt really do much tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Makes sense. With the size of an uninsulated garage it would cost more to heat your bike than your family!!:eek:

5. hitch

hitch Elite Member

if your budget will stretch to it, go for marine ply. It'll stand up better to the damp/rain.

6. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Agree with Hitch, marine ply for starters and then fill the gaps with expanding foam to seal! Should help with insulating it a bit better