Gasket leak or dirt build up?? help!

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Ryan Beaton, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Ryan Beaton

Ryan Beaton Active Member

Yes just annoying mate. But isn’t a head gasket a big job? It would always play in my mind that it’s been changed. And could potentially cause problems. Again maybe just my ocd kicking in

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes it is, which is why I commented earlier in the thread that it is about a 6-hour job and that is why the dealer would be reluctant to do it. BUT, it is not necessarily the head gasket, it could also be the cylinder block gasket where the cylinder block meets the crankcase. (which is an even bigger job).

Don't stress too much until you've been back to the dealer.

3. Ryan Beaton

Unfortunately I think that’s the one where the gearbox meets the engine? Oh jeez time to sell it lol

4. Ryan Beaton

They should strip it and change them all then the problem will be solved lol

5. martin_deyanov

martin_deyanov Active Member

Hi folks,

This is where the speedo sensor on the 08+ bikes is located.

It does not have a gasket, it has an o-ring. Since it is located on top of the gearbox, there is no oil-pressure on it, so I cant see how it would leak. While the o-ring could theoretically fail, there is no way it would run on the right side of the engine / clutch cover.

Don't stress too much about the head or cylinder block gaskets... They are a big job, as the engine has to come out of the frame. As long as they are done correctly and everything is torqued down to spec you will have nothing to worry about.
    20180602_012419.jpg

#45 martin_deyanov, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ahem, you are not taking into account that Ryan gets a 61 degree lean angle in right-hand corners:D.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ryan Beaton

Hahahaha

8. Ryan Beaton

Guys I don’t think the dealer done any work last week to the bike.... I still recon it might be the clutch case. It’s bit a gasket but seems like has been sealed with some sealant. Tonight I’m going to get the bike up to temp get my friend to sit on it and lean it over see if I can see the wee fecker

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Good idea. If, between the two of you you can pinpoint EXACTLY where the leak is coming from, take photos and with that evidence return to dealer. You then have conclusive evidence of where the leak/weep is and at the same time can get the dealer's answer to what they will do to rectify.

I'm wondering if this post might have been a bit premature?

10. Ryan Beaton

Yeah hope this will show me where exactly. The clutch sealant isn’t a big job but still the dealers problem and to be honest I think it’s that more likely than a head gasket we shall see.

11. martin_deyanov

martin_deyanov Active Member

I don't think the clutch cover originally has a gasket. I think it is sealed with silicone from the factory. Yours for sure is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ryan Beaton

Ok mate I’m thinking it might need resealed as small bits were coming offnin my hand the other day

13. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Perhaps....well, not premature exactly more that it was completely incorrect :oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ryan Beaton

So heated the bike to 106 and leant it over to the side as far as I could alone and nothing lol might need to take it another run to pin point this but I’m sure it’s the clutch case sealant.

15. Ryan Beaton

Update :- the bike is back in Honda for a week now and that’s the fairings just off it today. I am sick of there shit at Honda Ballymena. Always an excuse with them. I am going tomorrow to request a full refund. This is dragging on far too long now. What do you guys think

16. Ryan Beaton

I have also contacted Honda uk as the service has been utter sh** let’s see what they have to say.

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Don't want to be tagged with the 'doom mongerers' label again, but a full refund might be a big call - although seemingly justified. I had mentioned in an earlier post about your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You might find this of help: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

With respect to Honda UK, many on here will attest that in the days of 'cover-ups' and 'denial' Honda UK will most likely support the dealer before it does the consumer. I hope things work out because I am sure this has given you an undeserved bad impression of Honda.

18. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

As mentioned you need to check out your legal rights. Know them well and stick to your guns because the dealer won't want to give you your money back.

19. Ryan Beaton

Ah good morning mr doom monger. Lol yeah well we can only see what happens I suppose. They open in ten minutes so I will be straight in the phone. I’ll let you know what’s happeninf

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ryan Beaton

So the dealer said they will need to call the owner said they have a 750 gsxr but it’s 1500 more expensive. Hmmmm