GB Engine Covers - how often removal req'd to clean behind etc. Experiences??

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by mbooth1, Aug 5, 2020.

1. mbooth1

mbooth1 Active Member

I know from the three pages of threads I just read, lots fit these. I came across a Triumph forum last week where many had paint damage as a result of fitting (grit, excess heat.....). How often do people remove to clean behind? Any similar occurrences of paint damage? Interested to know before deciding.....Mike

2. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

I'd like to know thoughts on this also.

However, I thought they were fit and forget. The fairings on the FireBlade should keep alot of dirt/grit away from the engine I would have thought.

3. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Had my last set on 8 years +, removed for the newer Blade, Bit of grit in there but no damage at all.
    Also to note it was an all year round ride so ridden in all weathers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Oops i lie, crashed a few times With them all on . One side replaced after a highside probs 5/6 years ago, but as previously stated no damage to the casing, did their job impeccably, for me an essential mod done before everything else

• Like Like x 1
  5. mbooth1

mbooth1 Active Member

Interesting........the Triumph forum reports put me right off them. Also not sure covering nice gold painted engine with black plastic covers appeals, but seems to be no doubt as to protective qualities of them. Lack of other replies doesn't seem to indicate similar issues as on Triumphs. I think I'll see what else there is.....

6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've had several sets of these covers with no issues including the set on my 11 plate that were on for 50k. I've dropped my bikes with them on too and they've done a great job. Never taken them off apart from when selling and never noticed they've caused any issues underneath. Sounds like a triumph problem

7. mbooth1

mbooth1 Active Member

You may well be right. Could be as simple as different paint orsomething as I assume GB Racing would design their stuff to same clearances and tolerances. But reassuring to get another non-issue after such significant mileage. Won't get them myself but purely a personal choice as don't like the look of them. I was in two minds when starting thread.....
    I may go for barracuda protectors but in truth undecided. Been a beautiful day in SW Wales, shame the great roads filled with tourists.......

8. cbrbadboy

cbrbadboy New Member

unless you have spilled oil that gets behind GB cover I never clean them

9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Not had GB Covers but have had R&G and can't see how anything could get behind them, certainly never removed them for cleaning etc. What are the GB covers made of, could it be a reaction between materials?

10. karl wesley

karl wesley Active Member

not had a problem,only thing i don,t like about engine covers is ,some people put them on after the damage has been caused