Getting a rounded allen bolt out - any tips?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by ccr32, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dave

Dave Member

Have to agree with ElNicko, easy outs/stud extractors are ok until you snap one of them in the bolt you are trying to remove, then you are in the brown stuff. Good quality centre pop or small diamond point chisel usually work, or as Arthur says weld another bolt to the chewed one works 99% of the time but is a bit awkward with the plastics so close. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

A big problem for me with easy outs is they expand the stud/thread as they wind in, they are ok for loose snapped bolts but my favourite for that case is a left handed drill, it's something I have used for years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. el-nicko

el-nicko Well-Known Member

True!

4. el-nicko

When all else failed a method we used to use when I worked in an injection moulding tool and die maintenance shop was, if possible, clamp the part on a Bridgeport (for accuracy, but you can use a cordless drill anywhere if care is taken) and, using a drill bit slightly smaller than the core dia, center-punch a dot and drill a hole that is off-centre by the amount of the depth of thread. Then use a small chisel to 'collapse' inward what's left then pick it out. It did look a mess but after running a tap down it to clean it up it was surprising how good the results were. You do lose a small amount of thread but it didn't seem to weaken the fixture and sometimes things were that desperate. Also, don't forget WD40 is your friend.;)

5. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

Thanks all for the continued feedback. I think I'm going to give the left handed drill bit a go at the weekend seeing I already have the tools in that sense (drill bit bodge aside). If no good, I'll try one of the many other suggestions.

Will report back how I get on!

• Like Like x 1
  6. arthurbikemad

Like El said I have done the same, if you can dot it with as he said concideration for the thread, I.e the middle is often not where it seems ;) then you can indeed drill close enough to peal the thread away, it's slightly hit and miss if done by hand but I've done a few in just that way, however I have a rule now, if I have to drill them I always use a left handed drill, after all at least that way you stand a chance of an easy ending, most of the time if (as been said) you drill nice and slow so the drill bites they normally wind out.

• Like Like x 2
  7. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

That stubborn mushroom head always a problem by rounding off. Trick here is to get a purchase on the outer radius without damaging the fairing, centre punch the middle with a rat-a-tat action to jar the seizure a dash of WD40 then start with the radius turn. Failing that suggest hot water or other form of heat on the frame lug and guarantee it will walk out. Easi- outs causes more damage on aluminium seizures. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

Just going back to this suggestion, will I be able to make one without the use of a vice? Say, by hacksawing the end off? Or will that just blunt my hacksaw blade?!

(Come to think of it, without a vice, I'm not even sure how I would do the hacksawing... hmmm...)

9. el-nicko

Ermmm, sorry I don't get this. Don't you just end up with a drill bit that rotates the same way to cut and not a 'left-handed' drill bit?

10. Dave

Dave Member

Also you won't cut a quality drill bit with a hacksaw, also whichever option you choose make sure you wear safety specs:cool: as a trip to A&E is the last thing you need and the bolt will still be in there when you get home:D but your vision won't be so good.:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave

Dave Member

Going back to the suggestions of using a left handed drill bit i'm assuming you grind the drill bit to cut with the drill in reverse. Never heard of this trick in 35 years but may try it next time.;)

12. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Is this bolt still stuck?

• Like Like x 2
  13. arthurbikemad

The drill is left handed, not a reground right hand drill, the spiral is left hand wound, so yes your assumption is correct mate, run the LH drill in reverse. I have used this technique for years and gave up my secrets on here some years back when a simalar question was asked, not claiming to be the first by no means but while drilling out a loose bolt I thought one day if only I had the drill in reverse? Much to my surprise when I searched there was such a thing as a LH drill, used widely in machining I took advantage of the situation and now today have a large ish collection of them just for removing snapped bolts. Since that time it's surprising who has never heard of a left hand drill.. haha Oh and I am told they are common place in a good extractor set ;)

Left Hand Spiral Drill Bit Set - *Pack of 4* - Sizes 3mm to 6mm | eBay

#53 arthurbikemad, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  14. graemewalker

graemewalker Elite Member

The old ones are the best ones :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. arthurbikemad

Yeah...lol I did add to my post, it is an age old technique and the drills are common place in a quality extractor set, it was just me who was out of touch, but I did feel rather chuffed all those years ago when I thought the idea was my own...lol

16. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

We make left hand helix right hand cutting drills at work also left hand helix left hand cutting too! People think I'm joking when I tell them

• Like Like x 2
  17. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

Options
    Get a small chisel, put it on the outside edge and try to tap it round
    Drill the head off and put a small pair of stillsons on the piece that's left in.
    You can buy some 19mm dia cutting discs for the dremel off eBay.

Either way, make sure you give it a big thrash with a hammer before you start, that it relieve the pressure which the head has on the piece it's holding in place.

19. RedBull

RedBull Member

Dremel all the way.

Don't make life hard for yourself. plus the Dremel will come in handy for other stuff too. Have a look on Gumtree/ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Well spotted El,..... sorry chaps I was attempting to be helpful to someone that perhaps didn't have a left hand drill, It was a daft thought off the top of my head. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, Sorry if I caused a major Health & Safety incident and people are wandering all around the UK with drill bits protruding from various parts. Don't try this at home!
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1