Getting price down on another used car

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tuktuk, Oct 30, 2019.

1. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I was just about offer to go and look at it for you Tuk. I would have happily done that today. :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Cheers mate that's really good of you to offer :)

I've got another month till the insurance runs out on my current car so there is plenty time to find another one. Found one in newcastle but the dealer is notoriously bad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

what are you looking for tuktuk? There’s a few good spotters on here that might be able to offer a helping hand with the search?

4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Ideally a jaguar xe auto in black silver or British racing green, r sport spec. Not bothered which engine but has to have the all black interior.

This was the one in preston.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/303338214075

Quite like the a5 but I'm not too sure how new of a car I need to have it ulez exempt. Loads of talk of this being implemented in newcastle and I have to go through the city centre to get to work. The ones I have seen in my budget are not exempt which is a shame.

15k max budget, ideally 14k or less!

• Like Like x 2
  5. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Any tips on where to find an independant inspector/mechanic?
    I'm in SE London and 'looking' at a car in Huddersfield o_O

...seen loads of pics and video, all looks OK, just want to get an inspection/report. - then I'll probably buy it over the phone and get it delivered :eek:

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Things have progressed slightly. Found another one, spoke to the dealer and confirmed a few things regarding service history etc. Its getting down to the nitty gritty and I have asked for their best price before travelling to view however this is a question that hasn't been answered. I'm guessing they are wanting me to make an offer instead of them offering anything to me... how do I play this o_O

7. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Make an offer
    We’ve just bought an A4 and I did all the bartering via WhatsApp
    Going up to Huddersfield on Monday to (all being well) bring it home

• Like Like x 1
  8. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Where do I start though, 10%? Its 14.4k

9. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

It really depends on how patient you can be and how much you want it. Wait it out and get them to tell you their best price then offer something less, maybe 500 or so less. It's really a case of how much you want it versus how much you want or are able to spend

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I'm totally out of my depth :D

I wish across the board it was a case of this is the price take it or leave it. Some places you hear they will drop 1k others you feel like you might be insulting them or wasting their time.

11. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

Yeah, I agree but unfortunately it isn't like Tesco with a fixed price (although I have tried haggling at the tills but it doesn't work, lol).

My MO when buying a car (or similar) from a garage / dealer, is that the seller has to do that for a living, whereas I on the other hand am doing it because I want to. I can go to any garage I want, and chose any model I want (obviously within my price range), so if they want me to deal there then they need to make me want to buy it. I have walked away from a great many deals over the years and had Satin calling me arrogant, but hell, it's my money and I will only part with it if I'm happy with a deal. I have often taken great satisfaction seeing a car on a forecourt sitting for a long time afterwards with them having reduced it to less than I was offering and still stuck with it over a year later. The only things I would urge you to be is patient as if they get a hint of you being too keen then forget any hope of a good deal...but never fear insulting or time wasting!
    Just my opinion like :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Thanks Jimmy.

How do I reapproach the 'best price' conversation. I feel it's better for them to make the first move rather than me play my cards. I just dont know how to word it without coming across like a knob :eek:

13. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

Hi,
    "I'm still looking at your xxxxx and need to know your best price soon as possible please. I have a few others that I am considering but need to work my budget and make a choice."
    Short and sweet and giving the hint that you have other options without being aggressive :D

• Like Like x 3
  14. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

*update* :p

So just took a call from the salesman, told him I am happy with what he has told me and I would be looking to travel this weekend to look at the car. Asked him how much negotiation there is on the price and was instantly shut down to say the price is fixed. Classic salesman chat from here and then asking if I'd like to place a deposit to secure the car as others have customer enquiries on it. Explained I am I terested but dont want to jump in to a decision and asked him to leave it with me.

Straight away received the below.

Further to our earlier phone call

If you are wanting to proceed with the purchase and the ‘Price’ is an issue all I can do is have a conversation again with my used car manager

Let me know the figure you would buy the car at and I will gladly have further discussions here ?

He can already sense I'm shite at negotiating haha. I literally have a max budget of 14k at this point, obviously the lower the better. I understand this is down to how much I'd like this particular car.

Hope they arent reading this :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Classic sales genes from the pool of suntanned faces and glinting teeth.

Of course they want to maximise their profit so will always so there's no, or little room to move. Only when we push the issue, or turn around to leave, do we get the: 'I'll have a word with my manager.' This is the tactic to make them look like the good guy trying to do all he can to help you, so when he returns with the trademark smile, we are supposed to think he's done all he can so we then become more negotiable. It's a crock of crap!

Very rarely is 'another person' looking at the vehicle. And so what? If there's no deposit on it, it's open slather. This is merely another sly tactic to impose immediacy on the purchaser such as, 'I'd better get in first so I don't miss out.'

But you can play the same game. Hit him with your lowest best offer, with the counterpunch, of: 'I have another one to look at at this price, but am prepared to do this deal today if you accept my offer. You either win or lose, but at least then know where you stand.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

Let him stew on it for a few days at least. Unless you desperately need a new car then seriously, why rush when an employee who doesn’t even have any clout is trying to press for a better commission? Just like I suggested to you about saying you were looking at other vehicles he is telling you that he has other interest in the one you want. Of course he should have interest as it’s their business to sell cars. Stay strong and squeeze a good deal (which is easy for me to say as I have no attachment).
    They are all out for themselves at the end of the day but patience will pay dividends mate

• Like Like x 2
  17. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Cheers guys, it's much appreciated.

I knew it would be a painful experience, the whole thing is cringey. Yesterday he couldnt be more helpful and nothing was too much trouble, 24 hrs later the sales pressure is already here. It was like talking to two different people... i cant really blame them as I'm not even sure they are aware they are doing it.

18. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

I’m sure he does, it’s turning up the pressure and trying to manipulate you. I wouldn’t be making excuses for any car salesmen. If you have that bad a feeling mate just walk away or take a step back and look at some other places for a week or so.
    You could find a better deal or if not and that one is still there swing in past and see if they want to make a sale.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I can refer you to an honest, down to earth, salesman!:D

Let me do a deal for you!.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

Harry Wormwood if memory serves :)