Gilles rearsets/Side stand issue

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Lozzy, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Thanks for that....we've just been discussing it funnily enough and have decided to take the toe tip off like you have.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

Might just be the pic @Lozzy , but your shift arm looks much closer to the frame than mine (thus why you've got the translogic rod on the outside which will probably give you the selector/throw issue you have... Did you put the full adaptor on when fitted and remove the original bolt??

3. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

20210411_160639.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

My shift rod is almost touching the frame so it would be impossible to put it on the inside as it is now.
    The problem isn't where the shift rod is....its where the shift foot peg is. Its too close to the toe peg on the sidestand like @derchef mentioned. Which is why he cut his too.
    The dealer put the qs on for me so it's always been like that. The only thing in the original qs box they gave me back is the original rod so I presume everything's fitted?!? The shifting is flawless and there's no issue with that. Its the impeding on my foot that's the problem.

20210406_172512.jpg

5. jokeshopbeard

jokeshopbeard Active Member

A few things spring to mind worth trying:

1. Shorten the shaft on the QS (remove a red washer?).
    2. Rotate the top shaft/gearbox connector by one spline (just thinking out loud, may be too much).
    3. Set the shift up in GP pattern; it's way better anyway, especially with a QS. Accelerate, tap down, tap down...
    4. Figure out why your Giles shift arm is so close to the frame; I have those rearsets and this definitely should not be a thing. Missing spacers?

6. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Just ditch the stand and prop it up against a wall! Think of it as great weight saving :D you can thank me later....

Joking apart...... you have no choice other than removing the offending part of the stand. I would take it right back to the stand itself, grind it all flat and repaint the stand. And then use the actual foot of the side stand to bring it down.... will probably take a while to get used to doing this but least it will overcome your problem. That would seriously piss me off having to have footpegs adjustment set in the wrong place to overcome someone’s bad design.... Grind it baby :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Cheers Dave....its down at the garage now for its service and its being ground off as we speak
    It's just as easy for me to use the foot part to get it down....me having clown feet & all that :D
    Then I'll paint it.
    Spoke to several folks now including derchef who have had to do the same.
    Think you'd be ok with the set up though with your fairy feet if I remember correctly ;) :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. jokeshopbeard

Do you think adding one of those wider boots to the bottom of the side stand foot will make it easier to catch on the flip down?

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Thanks for the other suggestions everyone :)
    But it seemed that for certain folks with the same height/feet and requirement for the pegs to be in a certain position then the only solution was for them to remove the toe peg.
    If derchef couldn't sort it the same setup as me with his background and expertise then I thought it just easier to do the same.

The bike came with the gilles rearsets on and are a lovely bit of kit. But unless you need to adjust pegs more aggressively than the oem or need to alter back and forth for trackdays then I'd save your money unless you're happy to have it just as bling :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Thanks for the suggestion :) but I'm finding it quite easy to push it down with the standard foot.
    Could be famous last words though :rolleyes: :D

11. jokeshopbeard

Yeah I have the exact same ones as you, right down to the red anodized inserts. Cracking bit of kit, but I'm nimble and a shortass so I have them adjusted up pretty high. When I swapped bikes for a ride with a mate of mine who's a fairly tall fella he couldn't stand the positioning of the pegs. I had even brought a ratchet with the correct allen head to adjust them for him but he casually (politely) refused the offer. He probably figured it would be like adjusting someones car seat and steering wheel, not knowing that there's the markings on the rearsets so none of the faffing around.

I think he regretted not taking me up on the offer once we'd been riding for a while, poor bastard. He was wearing heavy winter textiles too which can only have added to his woes.

I look forward to seeing the solution on yours when it's finished. Have you given any further thought to going GP shift? That would mount the rod all the way up on front of the lever and make you feel like even more of a riding Goddess than you already do when shifting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yeah I can imagine he was uncomfy .....I'm quite tall with long legs including a bloody replacement knee lol so my settings need to be one up from a wheelchair :D
    But like you say they're so easy to adjust with the markings....a 2 second job.
    Not sure about the GP shift....my brain goes Homer Simpson a lot these days I can see it ending badly :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. hitch

hitch Elite Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

It's done...much better now!

20210415_143512.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Nice one Lass, glad you got that sorted and you can finally have some comfortable trotters:D Nowt worse

• Like Like x 1