Going from 1000 to 600

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Liddell98, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

Hi guys, so I've now been racing for just over a year and a half in Scotland. I finished the runner up in super cup championship (Clubman) last year.

I had a 2015 fireblade as my road bike, I turned this into my track bike to race, many people said I was off my head starting on a big bike, but i just went for it, and obviously done well. I'm now looking to start getting into road racing, but you cant start on a big bike, so I have opted for an r6.

Was out the other day at Knockhill on it for my first real test, felt good but boy was I slow! Could only get into the 57s which would have me finishing almost last in a race weekend, I've done a 52.9 on my fireblade, so I was hoping to try and get as close to this as I could, but clearly miles away!! I'm pretty small at 5ft 6 and weight just under 9 stone, so I thought the smaller big would suit me better, although maybe I just need more seat time.

Any advice on going from the bigger bike to the smaller 600? I think I need to be aggressive with the throttle, just open to any good advice.

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Hi mate you've said it above got to be agressive on the throttle and live above 10k revs most of the time and a gear lower but then great throttle control not to sure lastest R6 has electronics aids ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I've gone from 1000 to 500 on certain tracks where the litre advantage just isn't there, such as with Mallory. You have to forget riding it like a 1000 and take advantage of the lighter weight, later braking and faster cornering to maintain momentum.

It's made me better on the 1000 though and appreciate it even more now I know how much more punishment the tyres will take under braking and acceleration.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fwsock

Fwsock Active Member

Gotta do wot u can’t on a thou. Ride the f in wheels of it. Thrash to death, cack handed with the throttle, late brakes, rear off the ground, sideways in, everything u can’t do on a thou. Do it with a 6!!! Enjoy. I had 20+years on a 6 and 3 years in and only now starting to take the piss on my beloved thou :D:D:D ps might even break 55s up the wet hill

• Like Like x 1
  5. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are enjoying the racing, just a shame the whole Covid thing has put a bit of a halt on things. As for the 600, it is a case of later on the brakes, carrying a bit more speed and getting on the gas sooner. The R6 is a superb bit of kit, loved mine, just didn't feel I fitted it as well as the GSXR, but they are superb and the numbers of them being raced is a testament to that. I had a 2010 also and it was such a reliable bike, but you have to really ride it to get the most out of it. For me, the ideal racing route is something like mini twin/CB500, then 600 and finally 1000. I loved the 600s so much and did not as much racing on them as I did on the big bikes. What spec is the engine in it?

• Like Like x 1