Got home to a great email!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by nigelrb, Mar 12, 2019.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

A 'friend' and fellow aprilia owner contacted me tonight and said he had a close collector friend wanting to thin his stocks. I've been offered a Suzuki RG400 4 cyl 2-stroke. Apparently quite rare here. Not sure of the price yet.

I'm in a dilemma, but this might be something that NO ONE would refuse. It's supposedly mint - as one would expect for being owned by a collector.

• Like Like x 1
  2. regishaunus

regishaunus Member

Problem is you’ll always wish you had the 500.
    The 400 is not easy to convert!

3. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

But Nigel ..........................WHERE THE F#*K WILL YOU PUT IT o_Oo_O:p:p:D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, I know. I know.

My problem is that I get swept away with my desires dominating reality. I guess it's like the challenge of conquering a one-night-stand and then finding you are lumbered with her, although I don't necessarily feel 'lumbered' with my bikes. Sure, it's getting out of hand, but there's some things in life that are hard to resist. Discipline, or lack of it, come to mind:(.

Back to your question though, I've been looking at 2.0 m x 2.0 m marquis. Not overly practical but until I can shift the 2nd RS50 it might suffice. Worse though, is that I now face the prospect of whether to pursue my quest for a 50th Anniversary R1 or cop the Suzi. Guess I'll know more later in the day after talking with the Suzi's owner. For all I know the price could be beyond me.

5. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Have you noticed how windy it is - if your thinking of going that route and you’ve got a pitch big enough for a 2m square tent I’d ask have you got a bit more space available and go for a decent metal or wooden shed.

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Damn. Anyone have an idea what this might be worth?:

RG 400.jpg
    RG 400 2.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks dmc. I've had similar before from Argos, but with the rather flimsy 'plastic' canopy. Two sides I can attach to fence, the other two into ground.

One of my problems is that I don't want the back of my home to like like it's captured by helicopter news cams of a home undergoing forensic examination a la the former Fred and Rosemary West property.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

LOL!! Small price to pay to have your mitts on that RG400 though, right? :D

In fact, that’s a good point - maybe you should start burying your bikes in the walls? Think how much space it would free up...

10. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

"Midlands man found dead under pile of motorcycles"

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bailed out on this bike. It has a very high price on its head which I will disclose this evening. I'm hoping someone in the know might have a reasonable idea as a guide. We have to remember also that this is a 'grey import'.

12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I'm going to guess at no less than £10k

13. PaulK

PaulK New Member

Yes the 500's are heading towards the 15K for a minter which is mad! I think he should buy it though and I can look after the F4 ;) I dont even need to ride it I can just look at it each day in my garage and it would make me smile (a lot) :D Great idea if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bang on Mr Charles - £10,500 but surely one would pull it for 10K.

I have looked up book values etc, but it still seems dear for what it is. In perspective, I paid nearly £8K for my NS which I knew was about one grand too much, but the condition and Spencer signature turned me. However, I don't have any emotional connection with Suzuki as I do with Honda. Strangely, if this bike was an equivalent condition 'Rothmans' 1986 NS, I'd probably stretch to 10K. Then again, it's just another bike sitting around.:rolleyes:

I feel £6K for the 50th Anniversary R1 would be more rewarding, but I'm still procrastinating on that. Would love to pick it up for £5K, but no chance through a dealer.:(

15. regishaunus

regishaunus Member

It looks a lovely bike. I’d put a price on it of £7.5k if he actually wants to sell it within a reasonable time frame. They are not in the RD /RG 500 money yet but more desirable than a good YPVS 350. Probably better investment potential than an R1.

Out of my price range though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers.

Defo better investment potential - assuming it's purchased at the right price. And yes, all the money and interest is with the 500s.

Very little investment potential in the 50th Anniversary unless one had a sub-5,000 miler, and even then you could sell it for much more than upper market value. I think the pick of the crop (of that era) would be the Yamaha V4 two stroke, RZ500 I think it was called. That would get my 10 Grand!:D

17. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

10 is way to much for an import 400. I love my strikers and would happily have an rg 4 but tops 7 for a Minster I think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. CRM

CRM Active Member

FWIW i just sold a nice fairly original RG500 a couple of years back for £14500 and now a days it would fetch around £15-16,000 i would say.
    I could have sold it around 4 times over too.
    However to be fair i did have lots of "enquiries" most were boring bastards giving you their life story about doing 170mph on one back in the 80's and getting their knee down in the wet at 120mph.

Anyway i digress, i clean 400 like that is still 10 - 11k all day long here in the UK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Hahahaha.....the travails of selling

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Coincidence about this thread being resurrected. Whilst I have let the RG 400 pass me by, I still do regular searches for news on the proposed Daytona 765 Moto 2 replica (as I've previously made known).

Now, with all this 'cookie' crap on the net, and Google's propensity to provide us with all manner of products that 'will interest us' I am constantly bombarded with emails and messages for Triumph products.

Problem is (but not necessarily :);)) is that these are not Triumph motorcycles but bras and lingerie:rolleyes:. In wishing to maintain my edge over current fashion, I obviously have to pay strict attention to these glossy pictorials. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2