Got myself a new 'Blade and its Grrrrreat!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Alblade, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Alblade

Alblade God Like

As many will know my bikes not been an ornament - but there comes a time when you need to bite the bullet and seek a replacement for my very trusty but getting a tad shabby / tired 2008 'blade

Browsing the bay of E one evening looking at original Urban Tiger bikes for no particular reason I spotted a 2014 frame and engine for sale from Mark / Yorkshire Gooner. Quick call / texts and turns out he had not stripped the bike and it was a Cat D. Few more texts / photos exchanged and a deal was done. An absolute stroke of luck was finding he had a replacement left fairing in good condition to replace the badly damaged / destroyed one on the left.

Mark being the helpful chap he is was able to provide the parts required to get it on the road and was even good enough to fit a few (I've helped Mark out with some 'hard to obtain' engine parts in recent months). He even delivered it and wheeled it into my garage as was passing en-route to collect a bike.

Next was a quick chat with Andy from here who again kindly offered to swap a few bits over from my old bike and fitted a few bits to get the bike as I wanted it (heated grips, higher screen etc.) - I had already stripped the side panels when re-fitting the radiator which had taken a whack when the bike lowsided on the left.
    Andy did a few other bits which results in the bike you see below - I can't thank Andy and Maz enough for all they did when I was going through a crazy time at work.

Its got a few marks / blemishes on it but like my old bike it won't be an ornament so will pick up a few more in time so Venture Shield is on the list to fit asap - these bikes are hand painted (one chap did all 100 or so) with very few decals.
    I am pleased this is a 2014 bike (All U.T's are), which means all the revisions the SP features are on this bar the suspension updates and balanced engine parts on the SP (an often overlooked fact lost at the time with the 'Halo' effect of the SP were engine, fueling / exhaust updates etc. for 2014 on ALL blades).

I also can't recommend Mark / Yorkshire Gooner highly enough if you are after either a complete bike (be it track or road / Cat D like this), Engine, bodywork or anything in between - I won't divulge price / deal I got as that would be inappropriate and no two bikes are the same but I'm very happy.

So here is 'Tony the Tiger' - a worthy replacement for 'Trigger' who lives on in another guise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    R&G heated grips plus a 12V and USB power outlet installed

And my verdict on it..

Its... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

3. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice to see you on another blade Al

• Like Like x 1
  4. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Nice one. Now take that other key off the key ring before it marks the top yoke ( my personal dislike ).

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Good call - its for the U-Lock but will find another place to carry it to avoid scratching it

6. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Nice Al- Good to hear your keeping trigger too.

7. yorkshiregooner

yorkshiregooner Active Member

That's looking better than when I delivered it Al : )
    Its a shame to take it out in the rain lol
    Glad your happy with the bike and anything else you need all you have to do is call.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

So is trigger to become a track bike now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alblade

Alblade God Like

[​IMG]

Something like this you mean?

• Like Like x 7
  10. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

That is a very nice bike, well done chaps.

11. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Love it!! Congrats on the new bike.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alblade

Alblade God Like

13. Greco

Greco Active Member

Awesome!!

14. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

Bike looks great.

Any concern over the 8.5mA drain on the battery when not in use?

Does it warrant wiring in a switch or relaying it with the tail light?

15. Alblade

Alblade God Like

The 'hope' is that the battery will be OK with that drain - I do agree a switch (maybe hidden away) on the live feed could be an good option but will monitor it.

Need to work out amp hour capacity of battery and see how many times 8.5mAh goes into that - where is Sinewave when you need him to work that out....

• Like Like x 1
  16. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

Well the battery should be 8-10 Ah...

Using this:
    http://www.digikey.co.uk/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-battery-life

I get 700 hours out of an 8.5 Ah battery.

So that's 21 days.

Of course, I don't know much about this stuff, so my calculations could be totally wrong!

I guess as long as you ride every couple of weeks you shouldn't be causing any issue to the battery.

The problem is if the bike is left too long then the battery could discharge lower than a normal level which shortens its life.

17. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

As it's got a usb outlet would it not be possible to connect a mobile power source ( like those used to charge mobile phones etc) to offset or reverse any drain?

18. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Maybe, I will see how it goes, other option is optimate connection in tail unit.

19. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Ah! Didn't realise you had access to a power supply. In that case there's no need to fit an Optimate lead to the rear, just connect via your cigarette/ powerlet adapter..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Beckers

Beckers Elite Member

Well done AL! You will love this one, they get loads of attention wherever you stop. Enjoy