H I D Light kits ..... Not working !

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Simon, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Just noticed my HID light has failed to light up, fuse and supply to the ballast unit checks good and on further inspection have noticed that the bulb is loose in it's bulb holder housing? Although it won't fall out it is loose to move forward about 1cm .... this doesn't seem right surely?

Hoping one of you guys has experience with these kits :D

2. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Yes, my bulb lasted just under a year, cheap bulbs supplied with the chinese kits. Bought a new one of e-bay for a tenner and now have two spares in case one goes pop.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

But I take your bulb is solid in it's housing? This one seems to move about in it's holder, but I can't see how I secure it?

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

Bloody muppet ! .... Please ignore previous question, bulb isn't loose it's the way the dipped/full beam works !!

Anyway, how do I tell if the bulb is blown (is it obvious, like with a normal bulb?) and how do you change them ??

...... Oh and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS .... Hic !!

5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Lol, that will be the reflector then, its driven by a selonoid that moves the shroud in and out, with most kits with hi/low beam the cell/capsule/bulb can be changed, problem with HID is they start up at around 10,000 volts (arc) then run at around 1,500 volts once the gas cristals have been vapourised. In short you would need a scope/meter to see all is well with the balast, simple answer is to get a new cell/capsule/bulb/lamp and if it dont work change the balast...lol. best seller on ebay is ningazxblue.. :) what bike is it on then?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Simon

Simon Active Member

Cheers Art, it's off a Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 that I have just bought (the blade is away for the winter) the bulb looks like it is hardwired in, but I take it it will come with the lead?

Will look up ninjazxblue now, very happy with the bike though, love the styling and that distinctive twin sound ha ha ...... Morning neighbours ;0)

7. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Hey Simon,

I'm thinking of selling my 55w HIDS4U xenon kit if your interested? It's a H7 type bulb with a 6000K bulb, also according to the 'tech' the 55w ballast produces more power & light?

I know HIDS4U are known to be one of the better company's selling aftermarket HID's

Let me know if you're interested....

8. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I am interested ray.

9. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi Ray, yes mate will send pm

Regards Simon

10. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Now sold!

Thanks