Handeling issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Darryl Coomer, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Darryl Coomer

Darryl Coomer New Member

Good evening guy's, my first post on the forum so please be gentle!

Bought a 2007 1000 Fireblade over the winter and started riding it to work this week. I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the bike so didn't really notice the issue before. Long story short... the bike falls into right hand corners, but feel really solid in Left hand corners!

I have been riding since I was 4 and I'm 44 now, I have owned almost every sports bike you can think of, but this is messing with my head! Bridgestone Battleax s30 Evo tyres on that are rather square so ordered new rubber today. Metzeler M7RR front and rear so waiting for them to be delivered!

Any ideas?

2. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Hi , this may sound obvious but are the wheels in line , don't rely on the swing arm markings use a straight edge .

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Further to above, I wonder if it has been in a major and the head stem is out of whack.

So as to not alarm you, post back after you've ridden on the new tyres. That might easily solve it!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Darryl Coomer

Darryl Coomer New Member

Hi guy's, thank you for the advice! The rear wheel is on it's marks but a straight edge may be the thing to try this afternoon!

Am I right in assuming that the measurement for this is from the centre of the rear axel to the centre of the front axel and then double check this on both sides for accuracy?

The head stem is my last resort after fitting the new tyres, but due to the cost of that , I will leave this one till last!

Thank you again

5. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I had a bent steering tube on my old Mille. The guys that were sorting the bike didn't think it had been down the road, they thought it had loosened over time and after being ridden on repeatedly had banged around had bent. Looked slightly banana'd when they took it out.

If you can't get the front end off the floor you should be able to check for free play by getting a (trusted) mate to hold the bike over on the side stand, then straighten the bars and put your hands around the fork legs and see if there's and backwards and forwards movement. Could also be knackered steering bearings, mine was both. The handle bars should move around the axis freely but shouldn't flop over. You can also put both hands on the bars and pull backwards and forwards to check the play.

6. Darryl Coomer

Darryl Coomer New Member

Good call, will find a "trusted friend" and get test this! :)

7. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Don't trust the swing arm marks , there only a guide , when I first checked mine it was 15 mm out from back wheel to front wheel on one side . Having said that my 97 blade marks are spot on . Go on YouTube, Motorbike wheel alinement ,men and motors . The guy explains how to do it really well . Easier than me trying to explain how to do it :rolleyes:

8. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Welcome Darryl hope you get everything sorted, you will certainly get good help advice on here.

9. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

My old r6 did exactly the same, my money is on tyres causing the problem. will be fine on new ones