Handle bar Collet size

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Emywmpb, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Hello to everybody on the forum, you guys have been a giant help in every modification that I have made, and I was hoping somebody might be able to provide me with some info whilst I am on detachment, away from my 2012 HRC Fireblade.

On the common topic of brake lever guards, I decided to buy the Alloysport one which not only looks great, but at £66 won't cause too much guilt over a part I hope never to have to need!

However, when you go to buy one the options are not bike specific, instead you are asked to select a collet size ranging from 14 to 19mm. Usually I'd just remove the bar end and measure the diameter of the tubing, but I'm away from my bike for a while and was hoping somebody might have been thought this tedious task already. I think that a couple of members have mentioned that they have this specific brand part.

Thank you kindly, always a pleasure to know I'm not the only guy 'wasting' my money on pretty mods!

Martin

2. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Just measured my 2012 and it is.
    Outside diameter of 22.4mm, inside diameter 18.4 mm.

3. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Thanks for doing that. I assume you unscrewed the bar ends and measured the hollow tube once they were removed?

I think the collet would need to be slightly smaller than the inner diameter so that it can be expanded outwards to grip the inside of the tube as the lever guard is screwed in. Therefore the 18mm collet sounds correct.

This seem sensible to you?

Cheers.

4. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Yes. I measured my bar off my bike as I have gilles race units on mine.