Heat shield

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by okeloon, Apr 20, 2020.

1. okeloon

okeloon Active Member

Going to replace these for obvious reasons. OEM or just cut some from a sheet of generic heat shield stuff? Exact shape or not that important? I would appreciate any comments from you lovely people
    919D45FA-1B9B-4AEB-A1C7-99C64F33F3B0.jpeg AF8F00E5-A9FA-47EC-9CF2-3C26D34E7DF9.jpeg

2. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

some aftermarket stuff is crap and just looks nice then let's the plastics melt. whatever you use don't go smaller than standard .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Wayne Steele

Wayne Steele Active Member

Hi ya, I'd be very interested to know what you use to replace this as mine is in the exact same state.

4. Wayne Steele

Okeloon what option have you gone with to resolve this?

5. DazK

DazK Active Member

6. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I've just done the belly pan of my R1, took all the old crap off and bought the same stuff @DazK used. From road and race online who trade on ebay. This stuff is seriously sticky, touch the adhesive with your fingertips and you'll know about it! It's not the easiest to cut with scissors so I used a blade. Just kind of did it I'm blocks and it's a little crude but it'll do the job. Just don't go to close to the edges or you'll see it from the outside.
    Screenshot_20200531_201949.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Wayne Steele

Hey guys,

I ended up forking out the price for the exact same replacements from Honda (nearly 70 quid for 2 pads...... ouch!). They don't appear to be heat shields I think they are designed to cushion the fairing at speeds so it doesn't hit the radiator.

8. DazK

DazK Active Member

The gear myself and @PauloHRC and a couple of others have used is thick enough to do the same job and be a better heat shield than OEM equipment and by far cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

Hi
    Have you looked if there any any really cheap/damged fairings on ebay you could get where that part is ok and you could swap it over or is it glued on so you can't really get it off again?

I used Zircoflex heat shield on mine as my Akra race headers practically touch the fairing and it hasn't melted yet :)

Is fairly expensive so i just used it on the areas near the exhaust and used some cheaper stuff higher up on the sides where there is more of an air gap.

10. Mike Brewbeer

Mike Brewbeer New Member

Speaking of heat-shielding; has anyone else had a problem with the coolant bottle, mounted behind the headers, melting?
    I bought an '07 SC50 a very short while ago and while bench testing I noticed the coolant reserve bottle starting to melt! Looked like cheese under a griller! lolol
    I had the fairing off and was running at about 2000RPM up on the bench.
    I'm thinking I might make a heat shield as I had only just cleaned off melt runs and discolouration on the bottle as it was when I bought it.
    Maybe it's a common problem?
    Comments most welcome,
    Thanks,
    Mike

11. Carl Abbott

Carl Abbott Active Member

I umderstand that the OE pads are fire resistant and have sound insulation. If not worried about sound then just use some heat shield as recommended by the guys on here?