Heat Tape query.

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by nigelrb, Nov 16, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

2. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

3. TheMickster

Not sure why it quoted my reply :).

Not used the tape but i used this stuff on my panels where my wider race Akrapovic headers almost touch and it's done a good job so far. they do there different types. i used it as there was limited clearance and the cheaper stff would have touched the headers.

https://www.zircotec.com/zircoflex/zircoflex-iii/

stupidly expensive for what you get, I only needed an A4 sheet for a few specific areas but would cost a bomb to do all the insides of the fairings or a car engine bay. :eek:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Spend the money for the Zircotec.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks Mick and Spy. That stuff looks the bees knees. 30 quid plus for an A4 sheet though (Z1). Will keep it in mind for full piece replacement rather than as minor additions.

6. TheMickster

Think I went for the Zircotec ii which was a bit cheaper. think they have differing numbers of layers for the different types.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

When I changed my headers and had to modify the belly pan to fit I used an eBay special adhesive gold tape thing on the areas where the pipes ran close. It has held well and I've not had any issues with melting plastics etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers @tuktuk . Yes, I saw that. I little bit blingy for me, but hey, no one's going to see it. Is a nice wide tape too, the one you speak of.

I remember your pics of the belly pan mod; you had some very close tolerances - so the recommendation is good. Cheers!

9. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I wrap my VTR exhausts in heat wrap cloth because it started to melt my after market belly pan, I went for black which went white in about a week:mad:
    and I did notice that the acka had slightly melted the belly pan on the blade

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow! That must be running some serious temperatures. I have Yoshi on my 2011 and haven't suffered. My reason for the query on this thread is for my RR4 (underseat exhaust) to give added protection to the rear assembly/wiring etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DANIEL JAMES SWINK

DANIEL JAMES SWINK Active Member

Anyone else have more engine heat on the right thigh/knee area when at lower speeds as the engine heats up?

12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Can't say I've ever noticed that.

Seems improbable. What were you riding before?

13. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks, but where have you been? Bike is finished!

Glad I wasn't posting from NASA wanting heatshielding for the next Mars mission. Poor astronauts would be fried by now!!:);)

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. DANIEL JAMES SWINK

DANIEL JAMES SWINK Active Member

zx7, just seems after riding hard or sitting in traffic as my temp goes up over 200f, i notice a significant amount of heat rising from under my right knee. This morning I checked my oil and radiator and all seems normal also.

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, well Yamaha suffered similarly. There is a recommended alternative seating position:

Sidesaddle.jpg
    :D:D:D;)

17. Andropheonix

Andropheonix New Member

You think this heat tape would work on the front ABS pump? Mine has sadly died as they all apparently do and I want to make sure another one doesn't go as I'm sure you're all aware, they aren't cheap parts!

18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I would certainly try insulating the area. Any attempt to resolve is worth a shot. Might not fix the problem though because radiant heat would most likely be the cause.

You will note this forum has many threads on ABS issues, but in my short time here I have not read of overheating pump problems - but that's not to say it isn't a regular problem.;)

19. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

From some of the posts and the horrors of the ABS, it's probably for the best that it has died :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

The details are on here somewhere but I seem to recall reading about Honda replacing pumps due to heat related problems. If you can find the post it may help if you ring Honda UK about it, although I suspect any extended warranty the added for the issue will have expired.

There is also some detailed posts on here on how to fully remove the ABS system.

• Like Like x 1