Heating problems

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by morpheus20170, Mar 26, 2015.

1. morpheus20170

morpheus20170 Active Member

I had a low speed crash on a icy road, back end spun up and threw me off in November 2013 and the crash bung dug into the road.

Anyway, after putting the bike back together and then having some work done I got a tiny hole in the back of my radiator.

I put some K-Seal into the radiator to seal this hole but haven't been happy since with the temperatures and how the bike feels.

I have seen a post on a forum that the electrics could have been affected bike the crash and I am also not sure what to do about my radiator.

I see aftermarket radiators on EBay but I have heard that the welds are not great and they don't fit very well.

I have like a lot of us had charging problems and this worries me as I am now wondering if my electrical/charging problems are partly down to my crash.

Any thoughts please guys?

2. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

I've had k seal in my 600rr for about 4years no problem at all

3. morpheus20170

Cheers Cbrjay
    Could I flush the whole system and see if the temps are better. My concern with using it is the small channels in the engine. Would I need to remove the radiator to flush the system and could I use a hose and standard tap water or would I need to use distilled water?

4. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

What temps it running at?

I've used tap water on mine, they say don't use car anti freeze but I have.

I just took the lowest pipe of mine, by water pump I think and put hose it rad and let it run through.

If u do wanna change rad try david silver spares for price, I got fuel tank half the price for same part

5. morpheus20170

Thanks again Jay.
    I was getting up to 110+ I think sitting in traffic but due to the changing problems I haven't used the bike in months and therefore honestly can't remember.
    I have noted that I was having running issues, lumpy and it was getting hot so hot that my lower left fairing panel burnt on the edge near the exhaust downpipes.

6. Scottmurray2890

Scottmurray2890 Active Member

What model is the bike? Reason I ask is when I put my radiator back on 09 blade I incorrectly routed the clutch cable which was stopping the main rad fan coming on as it was fouling it. Just something to check

7. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Good point is the fan kicking in?

Might be worth checking thermostat, water pump and blockage.

I had on cars the impellor on back of pump falling off or corried away so won't circulate the water around the system

• Like Like x 1
  8. morpheus20170

My bike is an 06 but the fan kicks in when it should but thanks for the post Scott and Jay

#8 morpheus20170, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015