Helmet noise

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing' started by djfleming22, Jun 8, 2011.

1. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

I am getting a lot of wind noise from my helmet i have changed the screen on Repsol for the the over price Honda one bought the special fitted ear plugs still no change to the noise .....i have the HJC Ben Spies helmet and have recently changed my helmet for the new Ben Spies HJC R-PHA 10 as i had the previous one before thought i would try out the new one again and see if it would help still no change ...its very off putting when all your here is a big gust of wind through your helmet ...had my head measured properly and everything but still it like a tornado inside...even if i am doing about 40mph still bloody loud

Any suggestions

2. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

better ear plugs

i pinch a load of howard lieght laser lite plugs from work every few months and theyre spot on

i find them the best at work and on the bike

them custom made ones are rubbish IMO

3. Jonny fireblade

Jonny fireblade Active Member

try a helmet skirt they don't look great but make a difference

4. matt

matt Active Member

different helmet manufactorer? or borrow a mates see if its any quieter

5. Hondo

Hondo Active Member

I use normal cheap ear plugs every time I ride. Those combined with my Shark RSR Walker replica lid make each ride a pleasure.

6. andybow

andybow Active Member

I have exactly same as you!!!!!!!!!!!! 09 blade, got bigger screen ( The over priced one ) Hjc Ben spies R-pha 10 and it is a lot better than my shoei, I used to use custom ear plugs but they did,nt work for long. I find the best plugs are these.
    JSP 19dB Ear Plugs Pack of 10 | Screwfix.com
    If you lick them, then they go quite far into the ear and stay put and are really comfortable!

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Get an Arai.... Its like your own little world in them lol

8. flatstickHRC

my arai was unbearable without earplugs due to them side plates on the visor

with earplugs it was excellent though

i have used a shoei x-spirit since 2008 now and i love it. lighter and quieter than the arai.

i would definately say try different ear plugs like them laser lite ones i use. theyre really good and can buy a big box on ebay or from arco etc pretty cheap

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I've never had an issue with noise wearing Arais with or without earplugs (everyone's different though).
    At the risk of being flamed, I'll go ahead and say you should consider an alternative make, other than HJC.
    Or you could maybe try one of those really tall screens they use at the IOM TT (Skidmarx I think).

10. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Arai's are noisy lids (IMO), the very best you can do is get custom molded ear plugs. I got mine form Ultimate Ear Protection and I will not go anywhere without them.
    They often have stands a bike shows which is the easiest option as you dont have to travel.

Also, you can get earphones wired into them... also good for jogging, skiing etc. as they dont fall out.

11. djfleming22

Thanks for all your replys just to add a little bit

1. Had the Arai Viper GT was not much better than the HJC
    2. I got the molded earplugs from Ulimate Ear Protection about a week ago .... works for the Mrs but nope dont work for me.
    3. Using also the Earsoft FX plugs SNR 39 helps a little but have to push all the way down to stop the wind noise
    4. Thought that the Honda replacement screen would have helped alot more but doesnt (were is that Thread..... biggest waste of money spent..... were is it)

Still at a loss......... might try using that GAP expander stuff bugger to get back out though

12. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

How to you mean the molded ear plugs dot work for you? Or do you have ears like Shrek?? ;)

Theoretically, there is no better option than literally finding a perfect mold of your ear and blocking it - sometimes mine move a little when i pull my lid on, but a little bit of Vaseline on the plugs helps keep a seal - give it a shot.

13. djfleming22

I know what your saying i had my ears molded twice and they still let in a lot of wind noise ..... no ears are not like shrek.... thank god

Thats why i was thinking i might need more of a bubble screen than i have at the moment

14. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Hence my post above:-

15. flatstickHRC

i went for first ride since fitting the tall HRC screen today

i can definately confirm it makes an improvement over standard low screen

much easier to get behind the babble and even when moving about on the bike thru the twisty stuff it helps reduce beeing buffeted around

i know theyre expensive but personally i could recommend one. i tried a non genuine screen and it wouldnt fit at all but the honda one is perfect

16. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Here's the Skidmarx one I mentioned:-
    [​IMG]

17. chelseaboy

chelseaboy Active Member

I bought some E.A.R soft FX ear plugs from ebay they are the best ive ever used, they have the highest protection of 39snr, which is really good when most are 33/35 snr, gave my mates some on our trip to Le Mans they agreed the best they have ever used and really comfortable

18. blade1980

blade1980 Active Member

I wear an Arai rx 7 helmet together with howard leight MAX earplugs and get hardly any wind noise at all, used to have a shoei but my arai seems much quieter, but guess we're all different

19. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Forget the noobish question here...

I have a Arai Rx7 Corsair and i do have alot or wind noise but havent bothered ever wearing ear plugs as i like the sound of my bike/zorst so i guess it cuts out most of that too?

Do you guys do alot of M-way riding?

20. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Ear plugs are a some doo some don't thing. I know people that cant ride with out them coz its to noisy , Personally i cant ride with them coz its to quit and on the motorway my mind starts to wander . i find i concentrate more with full noise