Helmet tipping forward

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Nigel H, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Lacking a good Neanderthal brow ridge to keep it in place I find my helmet wants to tip forward and the top edge of the opening begins to move into the preferred visual area demanding a neck twist to maintain full visibility.
    It's a Nolan N104EVO but it is probably happening as it ages.
    A push under the chin settles it for another mile or so but my jacket collar pushes it forward again.

Is it likely to just be the lining softening as it ages? Any magic trick to help?
    I'd rather not buy another yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Sounds to me like it's not helped by your jacket collar if that's pushing the lid forward. Does it happen so much when you're not wearing the jacket?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Noel

Noel Active Member

You might be able to buy a new lining instead of a new lid

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Spartan Andy

Spartan Andy Active Member

#4 Spartan Andy, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have seen this on many occasions.

It is usually an indication of the helmet being the wrong size or the wrong shape or both.

A helmet will give by up to half a size during the bedding in process which is why it needs to be very tight from new so moulds to the wearers shape (which is why you should never buy a display helmet which will have been tried on by many) and you need to find the sahpe that best suits your head when tight.

As an example, at one time I could never wear Arai because they were intended for slim tall shaped heads (Mine is rotund and chubby :() and so I had to wear Shoei or AGV. Now I can't wear Shoei but I can wear Arai as the internal design shapes (or more to the point) their interpretation of a standard head shape form has changed.

Not [picking on your choice of helmet or anything like that, just trying to explain the most likely cause of the issue, bearing in mind that most retailers have no idea of exactly how a helmet works which in turn is why I have been working to try and make all retailers licenced in order to sell helmets so that there is comeback if they screw up, which many do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Agree with TC, if its moving then its not a great fit. I bought a custom fitted Shoei at the NEC a couple of years ago and its superb. Custom fit is over egging what you're actually getting tbh, you still get a standard helmet but they mix and match the cheek pads etc from different sized helmets to give you the perfect fit. If you get it done at the NEC you don't pay any extra for it and get a good saving on the helmet aswell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Noted the serious points about helmet fitment.

I remember having to change leather jackets when moving from my VFR to the Fireblade, as the collar on my Furygan leather jacket was too high - it was designed for a more upright riding position, not a sportsbike with the head tilted back.

Sold the jacket as the collar was always catching the base of the helmet and I couldn't rotate my head properly (could have just cut the collar off I suppose !;))

P.S - I knew these brow ridges were an evolutionary advantage :D and shouldn't have been fazed out :D

8. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

other than fit and ageing related causes, the rear of the neck collar will lift the back & twist the helmet down at the front.

Problem ismore pronounced with sport riding position compared to upright one and accentualed by touring jackets with storm flap round the neck.

you can insert some foam padding under the lining between the forehead and crown area of the helmet

9. dern

dern Well-Known Member

My concern would be that if it rotates that easily by being in contact with your collar then it's probably going to rotate quite a lot more if your head hits the floor. I guess that you could buy a thick balaclava type head covering and that might help but I'd be buying one that fitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Mine used to do the same, It was the leathers that was pushing the helmet, they had an extra bit that was probably for neck protection
    after this was cut off no more issues
    you need to find out if it is the helmet or jacket that is at fault, it would be no good changing the helmet if it is the jacket