Help needed

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Spike1, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Spike1

Spike1 New Member

Help needed please. Was out on bike had done about 100 miles stoped for a break and was like the battery was flat just managed to get it started so next day new battery fitted fired up perfect checked charge and was ok. So ride out again must have done 40/50 miles stopped for break battery flat again. Any ideas or issues with this it’s a 2011 with 16k on

2. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Sounds to me like your stator / alternator isn't charging the battery.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

A voltmeter on your battery should show a minimum of 12.6 volts with engine off, shouldn't drop below 10 volts when cranking & then should have a reading of around 14-14.5 volts running. An amp clamp is handy to check the current, as the voltage is only half the story. Most likely the regulator/rectifier faulty. You should have AC volts going in & the DC volts as stated coming out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

As @BoroRich suggested the alt/stator is a good starting point, also Honda regulator/rectifiers don't have the best of reputation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Black & White

@Spike1. Did you get to the bottom of your electrical issue? I'm happy to chat/help out on what to check. You said you'd checked the charge rate, so I assume you have a multimeter that'll read Volts/Amps/Ohms? The troubleshooting section in the manual is good - Section 17-8 to test the stator windings & the regulator/rectumfrier(!). Beware with the R/R tests though, as it says to check for voltage but gives a resistance value in the specs. You probably know this, but don't try to measure anything in Ohms on a live circuit. Your multimeter will not enjoy it!

6. Spike1

Spike1 New Member

Sorry for late reply work has been mega busy just got round to checking bike over. So we checked the charge rate and it’s fine it’s charging at 13.47 I think it was. My mate thinks this problem is the starter having a build up of carbon and earthing out. Has any experience this before.

7. Black & White

13.47v is quite a low charge rate. Does it rise when revved? You said initially that it started straight away with a new battery, which usually rules out a starter motor fault. You need to look at what battery voltage you have before trying to start it. If it's showing at least 12.6 Volts & still turns over slowly then yes, you have a starter circuit problem.

8. Spike1

Spike1 New Member

Thank you pal will double check it all today and see what it’s coming up with. Can you pm me your number please

9. AndrewQ

AndrewQ New Member

Had a similar issue with my mates 07.
    Ended up getting an aftermarket regulator and rectifier, just to be sure.
    I dont recall the exact figures when we were testing, but after the parts were fitted I'm sure we were seeing mid to high 14's.

• Like Like x 1