Help please to identify flywheel

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by lambchops, Apr 3, 2015.

1. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well broke down as some of you know, stripped it today and the stator is burnt up, not to bad but very fried on the wires. Now I know the guy replaced this before I bought the engine so its done 6K miles, seems to be an aftermarket one also.

Now I suspect I have the old type flywheel, but can anyone identify it to be sure?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

i'm guessing the only real way to tell would be to find the part number on it (should ahve a mel stamp) then check against a parts fiche

3. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yeah its on the back Scooby.. Need a tool to remove it before I can do that :(

4. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Just a thought........and this is hear say..............someone fitted a 929 set to their 04/5 ,the only thing they had to do was extend the wires ..................you,re pretty good in that department I beleive ?
    Better odds getting a 929/954 set than buying old 04/5 set

But like I said.........Hear say

• Like Like x 1
  5. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Ah ok good to know :)

6. scooby

scooby Elite Member

it's just a 14mm nut from memory,but it might be on a taper aswell (it's been a while since I stripped an earlier blade engine)

7. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Ok thanks Scooby, thinkng of just replacing stator as want it back up and running by next weekend.. New one on ebay from UK for 90 quid at the moment may just buy that for now and revisit next winter..

8. Stumoores

Stumoores New Member

It's on a taper and you need a 20mm threaded tool to remove it. My old stator (rr5) is in the garage if you want a picture

9. Stumoores

Stumoores New Member

Rotor not stator duh!

10. scooby

scooby Elite Member

I do remember stripping my engines into component parts and don't recall needing anything special to remove it,just that it was on a taper,unless I'm getting very forgetfull in my old age :oops:

11. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

I find in most cases if you get two hammers and gently tap the flywheel 180 deg apart at the same time it's enough to shock it off the tapper............gently! I said !

12. Dave

Dave Member

As Stumoores says, M20 threaded flywheel remover is required. Remove the M10 bolt with 14mm socket/spanner, screw in M20 flywheel remover whilst holding the rotor across the 2 flats with adjustable spanner, tighten the flywheel remover as much as you can put a blanket or similar under the motor and give the flywheel remover a tap with hammer. Sometimes needs more of a whack:eek: than a tap and off she comes.:D

13. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well went for the UK stator for £90 new, will get me up and running and will revisit for a proper fix over the winter providing it lasts the summer lol