Hepco & Becker Sportrack Question

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Emywmpb, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

This is a question for the guys on here who use the Hepco & Becker Sportrack.

I normally use a Kriega US20/10 mounted on the pillion seat, but didn't like the way it seemed to bend it. Therefore, with touring in mind I recently ordered the H&B Sportrack for more sturdiness.

I bought it because it seemed ideal - simply take off pillion seat and switch in metal Sportrack. However I have been informed, although unconfirmed, that it is not this simple and that you need to remove the locking system from the rear seat and fit it to the Sportrack - a job which does not seem particularly fast.

Can you confirm that this is either true or false please?

If false, how does the Sportrack arrive? In one single piece or in a couple of parts?

Thank you very much guys.

Martin

2. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I have got one, with the extension plate.

The Sportrack is just the same underneath as the pillion seat, just made of metal. At the back there are the prongs that slide in, and at the front the bit that clicks into the lock.

The parts and instructions are all there. There is the metal plate, that forms the rack, and the front and back bits you attach with nuts and bolts - easy. Also some foam that forms a seal - I suppose to stop the air getting underneath it - they could be a bit more generous with that !

Mine arrived the morning of departure and still had time to put it all together and get to the ferry. It is easy to put on and take off, just like removing the seat - a little bit more wiggling about - but easy stuff.

There are no parts taken from anything to make up the Sportrack - 100% all parts come in the box.

(edit: mine is 2015 model CBR)

3. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Brilliant news! Thank you so much. Was the extension plate a separate part bought that you retrospectively fit onto the sportrack? Does the extension give a lot of extra room for more baggage?

I can't decide whether to simply tie down my Kriega packs to the Sportrack, or buy a 30 litre tail box just to make packing even easier.

4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

The extension plate is also made by H&B, and is designed to fit on to the Sportrack. I have put a 50 Litre roll bag on it easily no trouble. This summer will be giving it a try with a 70 litre roll bag (carrying a tent and camping gubbins)

But 50 litre roll bag, fits like a glove.

The only picture I have of it without a bag on it !, maybe you can see how the extension plate adds a lot of width to the carrying capacity, rather than length.
    [​IMG]CBR1000 Adventure by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

5. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Yeah I can see how useful that extension plate would be.

I bought the Sportrack from www.moto24.co.uk but can't find the extension plate on it. Which website did you buy yours from?

My bike is 2014 reg but is actually a 2012 model so I think my Sportrack is a slightly different design to yours. Hopefully an extension plate was also made for mine.

Martin

6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Hello Martin. I got mine from a German website that was recommended on here ( have a look at Touring, Luggage Ideas thread).

Anyway, from these guys, and here is the link to the extension plate itself:
    https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/h-b-extension-plate-for-luggage-racks/10024178?list=147566916

I got an email, but I remember it took three weeks to arrive. I sent them an email after a week asking about it and they said they had to get it from H&B - but it all arrived - just took about three weeks.

7. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Well, the sportrack arrived today and to say I am pissed off is an understatement! My bike is a 14 registration but is the last iteration of the 2012 model, so I ordered the 2008-2012 sportrack.

I fitted the two plates underneath, one with the hook sections and the other with the lockable part, precisely as per the instructions......and it doesn't fit.

The three hooked sections at the back just about fit, with the central hook latching onto a section beneath the rear seat, although the tolerance is so tight that the hooks don't really slide rearward very far. Then when the front locking section lowers down, it is a few mm's too far forward to lower into the lock. I have tried to wiggle it further back and force it further back, and to no avail. It simply won't fit.

There could be two reasons:

1, The part has been drilled incorrectly with the locking bracket a few mm's too far forward.
    2, The part is not designed to fit the 2012 model after all and I actually needed the sportrack model that you have.

Is there any chance you could post up a photo of the underneath of your sportrack please, and also one of the section the hooks engage with beneath the pillion seat?

Ive got to call the UK distributors tomorrow and try to explain the problem.

Grrrrrr

8. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

I know exactly what you mean, and I went through precisely what you've experienced 3 years ago when I bought mine.

I ended up filing away the front catch and the rear tab slightly. It's very close but fits really well now, and is snug and extremely secure.

I didn't know whether to return it or modify it, but I'm very glad I stuck with it. I've had all sorts on that back plate from a tailpack, a spare tyre, a large cardboard box. It does come in super useful!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

I see you've really gone at it with the file. I think doing that would solve the problem and it's put my mind at rest that somebody else has had these issues......I was expecting it to fit beautifully just like the rear seat cowl does, and lock in without a problem.

I think I will be taking a trip to B&Q tomorrow for a metal file myself. If it STILL refuses to fit in then I will return it, even having filed it down: if they can't design it to fit first time then they can hardly blame us for trying to solve their error! As you can see from the photos attached compared to your own, there is a whole lot of metal I need to file away.

Martin P1010555.JPG

10. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Only filed about 3-4 mm off the front I think. Also grease up the fittings to help things slide in a bit easier.

11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Hello Martin - sorry for the late reply, but I have been away and only returned today.

Well straight off I can see why mine fits easily and yours does not - with mine the lock part part positioning is adjustable !

I can remember fiddling about with this to get it to be in the correct position, but it is adjustable backwards and forwards - so sooner or later you get there.

Hope this picture is of help.

[​IMG]

12. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Thanks for the photo. It's quite obvious that H&B have significantly improved the design from the 2008-2012 model to the 2013+ model. The one I have not only doesn't allow adjustment of the front bracket, but doesn't have any of that foam to create a seal either!

I got fed up with using a hand file to 'shape' the locking bracket and ordered an angle grinder instead! I will update if this fixes the problem when it arrives. If this still fails, I will then drill a connecting screw hole in the bracket next to the current screw hole - hopefully this will provide a degree of adjustment like yours has.

Martin

13. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

I'm wondering if the newer version of the sportrack would fit onto the 2012 model blade. From what I can tell, there are no real differences regarding the rear end or locking set up.

14. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Bugger it. The bloody sportrack is going back. Spent hours today with tools and files trying to sort the badly fitting locking mechanism, and it still didn't solve the problem. The bracket now slides into the lock section but is at the wrong angle to engage the lock.

I have got in touch with www.moto24.com and requested a return of the item. Be warned that although this website has a 'co.uk' URL, it is actually German. I have refused to pay the return postage since the error is the manufacturer's, but I will have to wait and see how far this gets me.

On the assumption that all works out and I get my money back etc, I then have to decide whether or not to risk buying the later version of the sportrack, intended for 2014+ fireblades, like that owned by Mattie660. I found out today that pillion seats are perfectly interchangeable between 2012 and 2014 models, so I don't see why the newer sportrack wouldn't fit.

If you get this Mattie, can I ask what area of the UK you are from? Im from Cheltenham. If it turns out that you're close by, it would be really useful if I could meet up to test if yours fits before I part with more money.

Cheers Martin.

15. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sorry you have gone to all this hassle !

Like I said I fixed mine on in about 30 minutes the morning of departure !

Sorry, but I live in the Channel Islands so not really an option to come round and test mine to see how it fits on your bike I am afraid. Good luck though !!

16. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Get yourself a renntec rack