Here we go again

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by morpheus20170, Sep 19, 2014.

1. morpheus20170

morpheus20170 Active Member

I bought a new battery for my 2006 Blade and after still having charging problems I had my stator rewound and the newer type reg/rec fitted from Electrex World.
    I while later it was playing up again so I took it back to the garage, they said it was fine but I wasn't happy and this is the plug from the stator. [​IMG]
    I had a friend cut off both connectors and temporary fix with bullet connectors from Maplins.
    The bike has now broken down although when RAC came along and tested the battery after giving me a jump the battery was around 11.2 increasing to12.5.
    I don't know what to do but WCW have said they won't give me a warranty on another rewind.

Please help me as I'm going round in circles

2. Pitcrew1

Pitcrew1 New Member

That damage has been caused by a poor or loose connection at that point and once the copper of the spade connector becomes overheated, it looses it's properties and will never be conductive enough to transfer current and hence continue to overheat. You may not have issues with your Reg/Rect but heat generated may have caused some internal damage to the unit at the connector point, depends how robust the electrex unit is. If your alternator is pushing out AC voltage with all voltages balanced (the same) then that will be fine. You will find a YouTube vid probably for simple test on your Reg/Rect.
    Loose connection is the cause for me!

3. morpheus20170

Thanks Pitcrew but I think either the battery or stator is bad or both but I don't know

4. Pitcrew1

Pitcrew1 New Member

If you know your way around a multimeter, both are simple tests. If not, find someone who is and refer to the Honda manual for the connections and values expected in ohms (resistance checks) and volts (alternator AC voltage output). If both tests are fine it has to be a poor connection.

5. morpheus20170

My mate tested the stator as per Haynes at the weekend and got 1.2-1.7 ohms between A-B, B-C & C-A which is outside of the suggested 0.1-1.0 ohm. The bullet connectors had melted into the wires and on one wire the copper was burnt too.