HISS spare key programmed

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by garyauk, Mar 28, 2014.

1. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

I've been trying to sort out a spare key for my track bike (cbr600rr) for the last couple of days.

So I thought it was reasonable to assume that my local Honda dealer (which does cars and bikes) will sort it all out for me.
    I went up to the bike desk and enquired about a spare key, the nice man behind the counter told me that "oh no problem, just go and see the man at the service department (in the car area) and he will help you. So off I trotted. That man then told me "Oh you need to see the parts department and ask them"
    So then I gave them my chassis number and ordered my key (which they said they would deliver to me the next day as I have a local repair garage and they deliver car parts to me often)

Today my key arrived....and it was blank, not cut. I assumed it would come cut like a BMW key does if you order it of a chassis number.
    So I called the dealer and asked, and they explained that they can not cut the key and I would have to get this done myself!

So off I trotted again to my local hardware store and had the key cut myself. I then called the dealer back again to ask if they could program it for me?
    "yes sir, no problem. We can do it in 2 weeks time" was my reply.....Now am I the only person that thinks that this is pants service?

So this evening I have trawled through the internet to see if I can do this myself....And I couldn't find much information about the 07/08 cbr600rr program procedure. plenty about earlier cbr or vfr

So I put the question out on the site earlier, and one of our members kindly took a picture of his workshop manual and posted it up for me (Big Thank you)

And hey presto......I've done it, without the help of my local dealer.

It just goes to show that the information is out there somewhere, and don't be afraid to have a go yourself!

And all this was done on a Friday night, and It kept me out of the pub :p

• Like Like x 4
  2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted mate, it's ridiculous the waiting times at some dealers to get a 5 minute job done

3. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

not only the waiting time, the money they charge to get a simple job done is sometimes just as ridiculous ;)

4. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I need to do this for my Blade. What's the magic trick to do it yourself then?

5. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

http://1000rr.co.uk/other-bikes/17206.htm

You need the special Honda tool...or in my case: 2 bits of wire, 100 ohm resistor, 2 paperclips, 2 crocodile clips...Simples :)

Just follow the Haynes manual. Its a bit worrying to play with the ECU, but it really was simple

• Like Like x 1