Hmm, new bike? R1 or S1000RR

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by thewiz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

I have just hit the 1 year ownership mark with my 08 blade. This was my first liter bike, and i have done a fair amount of riding on it. Had it on 8 track days and have loved it honestly. After i got it, i have tested some of the newer supersport bikes, and after i test rode the new Suzuki GSXR 1000, my good ol blade felt really old. The suspension is really dated.

Sadly i highsided with my fireblade as I was getting faster and faster over this season. Some of you know that i am not from the UK, in fact im norwegian. We don't have alot of tracks here, but i go to Rudskogen for track days. The proper race heroes in Norway, does this track at about 1:30, and on my last track day i was getting in the 1:38's, so that gives you an idea of how fast i ride (or slow i guess)

As the season is comming to an end, i have been looking around for a new bike. I really want to go faster on track now, and with that i feel that i need some more technology . Having a QS, blipper and some decent TC will help alot i think.

There are only two options for me, because i don't like the Suzuki, Kawasaki or Hondas current models much. I love the R1 and the S1000RR.

And we are not talking about a brand new bike here, i am looking at 2 years old or something like that. In Norway the R1 and S1000RR that are 2-3 years old cost 20 000 GBP. Brand new they cost 27 000 GBP.

And with the pricing in Norway as it is, i will get around 12-13 000 GBP for my blade (yes, you read correctly).

Or should i just get a track bike and a road bike? But i like supersports on the roads aswell, so i don't know what i should do here.

Maybe if some of you can share how your garage is. Do you have a track bike, and a road bike or just a do it all bike?

Some input would be nice. Cheers.

2. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Hi mate

Can't comment on the S1000rr myself as I've never ridden 1 (can't go the look of the funky styling at the front) but have had mates that owned them. Basically they say it's an amazing bike, but maybe a bit bland. If that can be such a thing with all that power.

I've just switch from a 2010 blade over to the new R1 (well 2015 anyway).

I have to say I love mine and the handling for me is amazing even compared to the Blade. Which is what I love in a bike. Add in the character of the engine and it makes a great riding experience.

I know that parts for the R1 can be expensive especially if tracking the bike, though more parts are coming available second hand now the bike has been out a couple of years. So can possibly pick up a bargain now and then.

Here's mine

IMG_3740.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  3. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

I had a gen 3 2015 s1000rr, loved the bike just felt fight as soon as I throw my leg over it. The only problem I had was the dealer networks. Bmw customer service is shocking to say the least. I'd only own one if it had warranty on it as I've heard of a lot of faults they have.

I've not ridden an r1 so can't comment on that.

But got a2017 rsv4rf now

• Like Like x 1
  4. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

you need to try them both if you can . both cracking bikes

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I did take this for a test ride - it was like it took me round while it was still half asleep !

Amazing thing - 'in awesome the almost lazy power of the thing - I wish I had bought it

R1 60th anniversary colours.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

best colour way as well

7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

......and when he started it up - the grin just got bigger !

8. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

R1 is great fun on track, its a small bike if you are over 6 foot like me, but still feels comply even on long road trips, electronics are awesome and work very well, however I can not compare with the BMW though as never owned one!

donny2582017.jpg downloadl_190917_3045_donington_park - Copy (2).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

What I really like about the R1 is the electronics. The slide control is just unbelievable, from what i'v heard. I can't really fault the R1, as I like the looks, electronics, engine characteristics etc.

The BMW has left me with the impression that its a bit fragile, as i have read that people experience electrical fault, engine problems etc. Would not buy one without warrenty, thats for sure.

I think maybe the R1 is the way to go. For you guys, Colin and Simon who has gone from the blade to the R1, how is the suspension, brakes and comfort in comparison? On the blade we have 1" risers on the clipons, but i see that the R1 does not have risers, is it uncomfortable? I am 6'2, and have no problems on the blade.

I noticed on the R1 as i was looking at one, I wish the dash could be tilted a bit upwards, seems to be a little downwards in tilt.

10. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

The Electronics are awesome, the dash angle has never been a problem to me as you can see it well from all riding angles, the bike feels a little smaller than a blade, but as you can from my pic I fit fine (6' 1") its a bit more of a race bike set up than my older blade, high seat low bars, if you like that postion then you will feel fine, bike feels compy to me :D
    you need to take both out on a long test run to know which feels better for you though, I justl ove the looks of the R1 more over the BMW, but thats its a personal thing :D

11. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Suspension is a whole league better than the Blade, also comfort wise I've been on the R1 for 5 hours straight only stopping for fuel and can't say I was any worse than on the Blade.

Wrists hurt slightly more at town speeds but that's about it really.

Brakes are slightly wooden with standard pads but can be easily changed.

I love the thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Which Blade, the 2017 model?

13. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

He is coming from a 2008 model Blade, so not sure where you are coming from mate?

14. dainesefreak

Sorry, should have expanded. I'm considering my options for next year and it will probably be a 2017 Blade. Just wondered what your experience was, whether you'd ridden the new one? I've discounted the GSXR, might ride an R1, but I know I can get a good deal on a Blade.

15. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Ah ok makes more sense.

I can't say anything about the new Blade as I haven't ridden 1 yet neither have any of my mates. If it's the base model new Blade that you are looking at, I've heard it's very similar to the likes of the 2012 onwards bike, though slightly better damping in the suspension department.

The main reason I changed from the Blade was that the new 1 for me anyway wasn't enough of a game changer, basically a slightly tuned motor and electronics thrown in.

Not sure I would have been happy with that especially considering the cost to upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dainesefreak

I get what you mean about the cost to change, that's why I didn't do anything this year. I was a bit disappointed with the changes for the price.

It looks like I can get around £2k off the new Blade, but I can't get anywhere near that on the R1. I'm not sure the R1 would be as comfortable for me too as I mostly commute.

17. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

The R1 isn't as comfy for around town work so yes your probably rite.

Just depends on your budget really and if it has to be a new bike or 1 that's a year or 2 old.

I went for a 2015 R1 and got it for £12k

• Like Like x 1
  18. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Me like Banzai Bonkers on Track! :eek:

Got a Gixxer 4 'sensible' (ish) Road use lol! :D

Oulton Park May 2016.jpg

• Like Like x 3