Holidays

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dessp2, Apr 3, 2019.

1. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

All inclusive or pay as you go. What is your preferred option? Mine is pay as you go I will tell you in a bit but I would like to read your comments. Reasons for and against.

2. Lee Beddows

Lee Beddows New Member

What's a holiday?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Can't think of anything worse than being stuck in the same place all inclusive but I guess that's because I've always preferred travelling around adventure type holidays...so it's pay as I go wherever I end up for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Had a week in Yarmouth in about 2013, does that count? I contract so no work means no pay, and with a house to do up that has first dibs on the money. Poor Wife not even had a honeymoon as we had to use that money to replace the boiler!

Given a choices abve though I would probably go all inclusive as then I could just veg by the pool and not be hassled to pay for stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

For me it's Pay as you Go.

I prefer the ability to do as I please with absolute flexibility. I do not want to be bound by 'package' rules and obligations. I guess it's a control thing.:)

Went to Italy last year and will be going to Paris next month. Both were pre-booked by me for flights and accom. I am sure it's cheaper this way - we can negotiate discounts and there's no third party making a quid out of us. Package deals are for old fogies who do not have the ability to put together their own bookings and itinerary.

The only exception to this might be cruises. With those (and I've never been on one) we are bound to the itinerary, unless, as has happened many times, the captain runs the ship aground; a fire sweeps through the lower decks; or the harbour master runs the ship into and over the docks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

All inclusive. Mainly down to cost.having said that . I don't fly well so this year its UK holidays only.having said that the cost of a holiday rental has gone crazy.the place we went to 2 years ago is now £300 a week more..

7. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Pay as you go for me, can’t think of anything worse than being stuck in the same place for all your meals.
    When I go on a weeks holiday the place I go doesn’t realy have many options for all inclusive anyway so not an issue and when I’m on short breaks I only sleep in the room as out and about so no point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hitch

hitch Elite Member

We’re going all inclusive this year.
    I cant wait to do naff all, drink loads of alcohol and eat tons of food.
    Hotel has six restaurants so should be some variety.

• Like Like x 1
  9. T.C

T.C Elite Member

We put ourselves on a cruise ship (all inclusive including entertainment), 5 star comfort and visit several destinations.

Currently looking at a 28 day cruise which came through the post ther other day.

Fly to Venice with 2 nights stay.

Then cruise from Venice to the Canary Islands and then transatlantic to the Carribean.

Visit several islands, then cruise up th east coast of the USA to New York stopping at a couple of places.

2 nights in New York and then fly home.

Balcony cabin, all flights and transfers, all your food and entertainment for just £1500 o_O

You can't do Spain for a week at those prices

And coming into a country by sea is very different from flying in.

• Like Like x 2
  10. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Balcony cabin, all flights and transfers, all your food and entertainment for just £1500 o_O

For two? That’s amazing value

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

All inclusive it is. Usually self catering, but enjoying currently being sat by the pool drinking Estrella for 'free'

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Per person, but that is still cheap

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That's actually unbelievable value when amortised to just £53.57 per day. I'd eat that much in food alone!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Everyone thinks cruising is expensive, in some cases it can be if you really push the boat out (no pun intended) and go for a suite for example, but in our experience, cruising has proven to cost a lot less than staying in one place.

We are looking at doing the Pacific.

Fly to San Francisco.

Cruise for 12 nights around the Hawaiian islands, and then head north to Canada

Fly home.

All in £1200 per person.

Similar trip going east, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia and a few others, £1400 per person.

We did 18 nights on th Independence of the Seas in the Med.

Balcony cabin departing from Southampton.

Car parking included along with gratuities,

Lisbon,

Barcelona,

Monaco,

Rome,

Gibralter

Naples

Cadiz + a couple of others and we paid £800 per person

So in my book, not expensive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Robbie

Robbie Active Member

All-inclusive v pay as you go, can very much depend on location.

For example I was in the Maldives in January and as the island I was on can be walked round completely in 45 mins you are limited in any event so it makes perfect sense to go all inclusive for something like that.

However I am going to Normandy on the bike in May with a mate and we are clearly going to pay as you go as there are no options for all inclusive.

Just my 2 peneth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Wouldn't thank you for an all-abusive. I think half the fun of the holiday is trying different places to eat and drink.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

Being tied to a hotel is my idea of hell, I can't relax by sitting around a pool, I need to do things, so always get a car, and part of the holiday is finding good places to eat.

Ideally I get a house for even more flexibility, but that is not always the nicest option, if staying in a hotel, then we will normally have breakfast there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I think @Robbie has nailed it.
    Basically depends on where you go...also, it's "horses for course", somethings you may like may drive me nuts! ...just like Brexit! :eek::oops:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Then there is the opposite: You go where the prices or packages encourage you.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. T.C

T.C Elite Member

That is one of the aspects we like about cruising.

You get to visit so many places and it gives you a flavour of somewhere for example

We went to Belize and Honduras. Not countries that are top of my to visit places, but none the less, we have been. They are 2 countries I felt very uncomfortable inand have no desire to go back and visit.. Went and visited the Mayan ruins which were fantastic but that apart it did nothing for me.

In Belize in particular all they were interested in was trying to flog fake designer label gear.

Mexico was nice.

In Grand Bahama, somewhere I have always wanted to go, I was amazed by the beaches, the cleanliness of the place and the friendliness of the locals, but I am not one for sitting ona beach for 2 weeks, and so having spent a day there, I now know that had I booked a week there, I would have been bored out of my box within 48 hours unless you just want sun, sea and sand.

But then I have been to Gibralter, somewhere I want to go back to and explore further.

I want to see more of Malta, Croatia.

Russia has been a fantastic experience but also going to places like Talin in Estonia, Wannanunde in the old East Germany (Stunning) Stockholm, Copenhagen (the little mermaid was the biggest dissapointment ever), Helsinki and so on.

The point I am making (and probably badly) is that we have visited about 50 different countries and go a flavour for them and their culture without having to commit loads of time, but there are several we are planning to go back and visit in more detail.

You wake up in a different country each day and a new experience. You can't do tat on an aeroplane.

Doing trips on the bike is an exception as Me and the Mrs have done thousands of miles throughout Europe on the bike in years gone by and loved every mile.

• Like Like x 2