Holyhead to Birmingham

Discussion in 'Events, Meetings & Ride Outs' started by R.M, Jul 6, 2020.

1. R.M

R.M Member

Lads,

Looking for some nice roads to travel from Holyhead to Birmingham area. Will have sat nav set to avoid tolls & motorways & will probably go via Buxton (Peak District) Arrive into Holyhead at 11am & would like to be at destination by 7pm.

On Friday I leave Birmingham & heading to Sevenoaks. Again any favourable routes?

Cheers!!

2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

What's drawing you to Buxton? It's not somewhere I would automatically want to go via if you're going Holyhead to Birmingham. If you drew a straight line between Holyhead and Birmingham you are going to hit some great roads without even trying.

To get you started though the B4391 between Ffestiniog and Bala is my favourite stretch of road in Wales. You know it's good because you very often see Top Gear esque programmes filming on that stretch with all kinds of exotica.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. R.M

R.M Member

Only reason I picked Buxton is cos myself and missus stayed there last year for 2 nights & drove in from Liverpool. Lots of biker pic signs on road, so reckoned it must be a biker route?

Thx for advice.

4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Yes there are some ok biking roads near Buxton, but North Wales is better and will make the route much more direct.

After Bala you could stay on the B4391 and take it all the way towards Llanfyllin, that's a great road. To get to Ffestiniog go through Llanberis and Beddgelert, that will make sure you hit more decent roads. That's got you nearly as far as Shrewsbury, from there I'm not very knowledgeable on the roads, you'll probably find that you've had most of the fun that there is to have and just make your way to your destination on the A roads.

This is only one option by the way you can drop further down Wales towards Machynlleth before you start cutting across towards Birmingham, this will also make you hit some great roads.

5. R.M

R.M Member

Thanks CharlieR85 for the tips.

• Like Like x 1