Honda cam chain tensioner

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by And7rp2, Aug 1, 2015.

1. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

has anyone fitted a genuine CCT ?
    I need to clarify that the pin at the end of tensioner ( see photo ) is a temp locking tool and once fitted this needs pulling out ?
    image.jpg
    Hoping to change in the next few days, so any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Pretty sure it is mate, ask Dave, he pulled his out im sure... Whilst we hoped for the best ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea imsure it is as when Arthur removed mine for inspection he had to make a little tool up to re fit it
    It releases the spring when removed I think

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. duttr6

duttr6 Active Member

Yup, that is correct, just a temporary locking pin... once the cct fitted then release the locking pin...

5. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Definitely a temp locking pin, but I believe there should be a gasket and a bolt to go on the end of it too or you might have just a tad of an oil leak or a lot of one, unless that's an updated version that I haven't seen before?

6. And7rp2

And7rp2 Elite Member

Just to clarify in case anyone does a search in the future,
    Yes it is a temp locking pin, once CCT has been fitted pull the pin and tensioner is released, then fit the bolt and washer from the end of the old tensioner.
    The tensioner can be replaced without removing the tank, but skinny arms are required !!!! the outer most bolt is the most awkward one to do,
    this can be done thro the frame but still need to get your hand between tank and airbox.
    Marion did the fiddly bits as her forearms are much smaller than mine.
    all in all an easy job but a bit tight in there, took us 30mins.
    don't forget to order your tensioner from Ireland, only £60 delivered compared to £90 from Honda UK
    and doing it yourself will save you paying the stealers £110 in labour and vat !!!!

7. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

8. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

They are great as long as you know what you are doing and don't over tighten the chain or indeed leave it too lose, a fine line to get it just right and then as the chain stretches you keep having to adjust it.

In the past I just generally take the old one out, get a screwdriver in the back of it, wind it in multiple times and release it so it all frees up, make sure its well oiled and pop it back in and carry on using it. Saved me a fortune on many bikes in the past.

9. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

Andy,

I'm having trouble with the uppermost bolt; what tool did you use? I can get a ring spanner on & also a socket but there isn't room to turn them. The lower bolt as you say was accessed through the frame.

I'm going to convert my faulty oem to manual by removing the internal spring etc & inserting a longer bolt & locknut.

10. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

Its ok; got it with a swivel joint.

• Like Like x 1