Honda QS retrofitted on CBR1000RR MY17

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Singh1000RR, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

Purchased an original Honda QS from ebay for my MY17 1000RR. Then had it professionally fitted by my local Honda dealer who also checked it over (test ride). Must say having ridden my friends MY17 SP I had to have a QS as its so much fun.

However.... these are my observations and wanted to share with you folks and see if they are "common":

1) Really need to have throttle open a lot for smooth upshifts. Part throttle results in difficult upshifts

2) some upshifts results in a "-" being displayed - but the bike is still in gear and a few seconds later the gear indicator shows the right gear

3) Upshifts seem to work better in gears 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th (use the clutch for 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd)

4) downshifts work no problem (great fun)

What are other peoples thoughts on a retrofitted QS?

2. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

Interesting to see your comments.
    This is my first bike with a QS and though I've only covered about 25 miles so far I quickly learned there is a technique to get the best of the system. I havent yet sussed that full technique but will do soon.
    When going up the box Is it best to keep the throttle fully open or holding it in a stationary position when not fully open or best to partially close it as you would with the clutch?
    Same going down the box any preferred or proven technique to get the best out of it.

I didnt see any issues in the lower gears though 1st 2nd 3rd were fine on my little jaunt just the same as 4 5 and 6.

3. Singh1000RR

Sounds like we are in a very similar position as I’ve done very little miles since having it fitted (bad weather). I think your right about the right technique. I believe the more you have the throttle open the easier the up shift. There is a setting between 1 and 3 on the QS menu option - currently set to 2 on both up and down. I might set this to 1 or 3 for the upshift to see what impact it has.

Downshifting is straight forward and is really fun (coupled with slipper clutch). You need throttle closed as much as possible.

With regards to shifting up 1st to 2nd - I think this is my issue as I like to clutch 1st to 2nd personally. Once I’ve got more familiar I’ll probably use QS for that as well.

4. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

I think the settings you refer to are for the amount of pressure required for activation. I think level1 is very light pressure at the pedal with 2 and 3 requiring a heavier pressure before it kicks in so I dont think it changes the shift at all just how hard you have to press the pedal.
    Someone may know more as I could be wrong.

5. Singh1000RR

You are correct. That is exactly what the setting is for. I just wanted to make/check upshifting easier (lighter) for me.

6. RC45

RC45 Active Member

The system has some very specific operating requirements (they are outlined in the owners manual as well).

QS upshift assist and Autoblipper down shift assist will only work if there is no clutch input - the clutch switch will the trigger the system goes off.

Autoblipper downshift requires the throttle be completely closed and QS is intended for full throttle up shifts.

The - is displayed in the shift indicator window when the QS/Autoblipper feature is momentarily disabled by some current condition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

I’ve done around 14k miles on my 2017 model (RA-H) with QS and probably 90% of those miles have been commuting 25 miles into London 5 days/week. Only issue I have is the occasional neutral from 1st to 2nd but that’s rare (once a fortnight) given I must change gear around 50+ times per journey (hmm now you’ve got me thinking - I wonder how many times I do given the millions of traffic lights I have to stop at).

For me the QS works at any open throttle setting going up and is generally silky smooth, but yes, throttle must be closed for the autoblipper on downshifts. Couldn’t live without the QS on my daily commute - think my clutch hand is growing weaker!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

I used to hate false neturals from 1st to 2nd gear, which I used to get from my HM Super Lite. They used to scare the living daylights out of me as the bike would rev like a gunshot, but the bike doesn't move. Also look like a right twat to pedestrians. I used to clutch shift from 1st to 2nd because of it. Constant throttle is the key to QS shifting. My HM failed, which was confirm by them when I sent it off for inspection - they just said yes, it's faulty, so I've gone with a different brand now. I had a ShiftPower QS delivered this morning, so will see how this compares. Nice bit of kit and excellent communications from the guy at ShiftPower.
    Chin

9. Mr_Chin_LK

10. RC45

RC45 Active Member

So this system replaces the OEM unit? Do you disable the Honda OEM QS option via the dash?

Or is it simple a load cell replacement for the Honda unit and still uses the Honda ECU QS and Autoblipper logic?

11. Mr_Chin_LK

Hi RC45

Mines an old boy 2010 model. This is a stand alone Quickshifter - plug and play.