Houses. Sheds. Adulting.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BladeOfGlory, Aug 13, 2020.

1. BladeOfGlory

BladeOfGlory Active Member

Anybody built a brick shed before?

Assuming all goes well, I'll be moving into my own house later this year. No garage though (yay London living) so looking to get myself a shed built in our (small) garden for the blade. I'd like it brick (so I can call it a garage on the insurance).

Needs to be space efficient (I want to keep as much garden as possible) so I'm thinking a shed that is long and narrow (just wider than the bike). I would put the opening on the long edge, and some sort of stand with wheels so I can pop it on the stand, then push it sideways through the opening.

I've laid concrete foundations and built brick walls before, with success (even with my soft southern accent and delicate corporate hands), so I back myself - but would like the collective knowledge of the hive mind.

Anyone got any advice/suggestions?

My questions
    - Will a single layer of brick be sturdy enough? Will it need reinforcing?
    - Should I factor in a stud lining wall?
    - Roof materials - Ply? steel? Slate?

here’s a top quality architectural drawing to illustrate:
    C18E5CDA-528A-4ABA-B60E-F7142416B873.jpeg

2. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Would it be worth buying a pre fab concrete garage?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BladeOfGlory

Haven't got the space for it unfortunately. I have looked at steel boxes (eg armadillo boxes) for bikes, but they all have one large drawback, of being ugly as sin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I would look at other options for the roof tilt in case the extra rain water and damp affect the fence longetivity. Are you going to leave gaps to the fences? Would it restrict access to fence repair?
    How about using concrete block with a good covering of masonary paint instead of brick.
    How about a sliding tray which slides out for you to put the bike on, then slide back in?
    Regarding the rood, check the definition of the garrage from an insurance point of view to find out which material are acceptable

5. BladeOfGlory

Good point - some guttering down the back maybe, into a water tub.

Was thinking of leaving a small gap (not person sized). it certainly would restrict from our side, but would be able to access from the neighbour's garden.

Probably an easier option - brick is only really for the aesthetics as it's almost directly opposite the living room window!

Funnily enough the missus suggested this! Definitely an option, though the stand would allow me to do more work to the bike than I currently can

Will have to have a good read of policy wording :rolleyes:

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Didn't want to suggest guttering in case you'd think it is OTT. Good sulution and you can use the rain water for the plant pots:)
    One thing to watch with a trolley/stand solution is than the would normally have small hard wheels and work best on super smooth surface.
    You can make the sliding tray detachable (like the runners of your kitchn drawers.
    I would think 20~30 gap to the fence should cover and fence maintenance including post replacement.
    Good luck;)

• Downvote Downvote x 1
  7. BladeOfGlory

Thanks, good ideas.
    Need to get the house transaction all finalised first and then it's shed time!

8. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

If you're going to make a concrete pad for the base then I'd consider doing so with a Y anchor pre-sunk into the pad for security.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I would go for a lintel designed to have bricks on so you can put your soldiers on to make it look good, My spider warrior stand is excellent and can be pushed around, I would not go for anything metal as the condensation dripping is a real issue, Best to have some insulation in the roof and if poss walls to keep inside a constant temp

10. BladeOfGlory

Soldiers being vertical bricks?

Nice - this is what I've been looking at

If I've got the space for it I will add a layer of stud walls and insulation on the inside for sure. Also might "green roof" it with vegetation as an insulator (and looks good)

11. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I'm a fan of Fibre Glass roofs (ie fibre glass matts and epoxy), Felt has a tendency to leak after a few years and slate etc needs alot more load bearing considerations.
    Metal can be bugger for condensation.

Single skin brick is fine but unless you want it for aesthetics concrete block would be cheaper/faster

What are you doing door wise? Barn doors for that opening would be very heavy so you need to consider this in the framework.

Personally I would pitch the roof the other way ie water runs towards the garden into an integrated gutter. This would avoid moisture problems on the least accessible side.
    Also I would extend the roof over the foot print of the concrete pad gives you a sheltered area outside of the garage.

Also epoxy the floor and the spider stands will work a dream!

#11 Slick, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  12. BladeOfGlory

Hadn't thought of that - good option; lights, strong and waterproof. I've laid up a fair bit of fibreglass doing boat repairs so definitely doable.

Budget permitting, I was thinking of putting a roller shutter in. Otherwise it'll be simple home-made wooden double doors.

True, but reduces entry height - I'm not planning to build it standing height, as I think it'll be a bit imposing. Just needs to be tall enough for the bike, and for me to get the bike in/out. Same point goes for extending the roof. at most it'll be a very gentle pitch on the roof - just enough for water run-off.