How square is too square?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by dgr, Aug 19, 2019.

1. dgr

dgr Active Member

I've now done around 5000 miles on a set of Michelin Road 5 tyres. Both front and rear still look pretty good but inevitably there is some squaring off of the rear. There is plenty of edge grip left, but that's another story. :rolleyes: As the title suggests, at what point does the squaring off necessitate a change of tyre? Is it all about how it feels given that there is plenty of tread left or is there some recognised wisdom that I'm not party to?

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

If you have the tread left and it doesn't feel like going over a cliff when you lean it then I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

If you lean and it goes like this..nothing, nothing, nothing, HOLY SHIT MY ELBOW IS ON THE TARMAC!!!! then you've let it go for too long.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Agree with @Barstewardsquad mate I wouldn’t worry to much yet.
    On a side note, if you haven’t had your suspension set up yet I would recommend it as I have the same tyre on mine and currently have 8.5k on it and it’s only just starting to show signs of squaring off the top.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

But if you're like me and doing heaps of weekend 'A' and 'B' road blasts without the motorway commuting, you're bound to have a lesser likelihood of squaring off. ;)

6. dgr

dgr Active Member

I did have the suspension set up but I wasn't happy with it. Too stiff for the roads I travel on 90% of the time so I went back to the factory settings and made some changes myself based on some articles I found on the web that seemed to make sense. I'm not sure how suspension settings affect tyre wear on the rear though. I'll have to look it up.