Important Notice - Please Read If You own an ABS 2009 Onwards Model

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by jimglasgow, Jul 8, 2013.

1. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

fsck off does it. feathering is ONE of the CAUSES of the issue

That comment alone tells me that Honda and it's dealer network have their heads firmly planted up their rear end!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Well you have been sold a complete load of bollox by Bob, how does Bobby explain complete brake failure at speed, where the bike has perfect conditions for cooling the frontal area by running at 70mph in sub zero temps?

As for the feathering comment, I am afraid he's got that the wrong way around, exactly as Kiwi states.

3. Dartmoor Dave

Dartmoor Dave Active Member

I can only apply my 2 pence worth as I have been following this with great interest as a 2010 abs blade owner. In that a recent first ride out, dry decent day, saw no problem feathering the brakes into a bend, which has been a previous topic, and there was a firm lever even at filtering in stationary traffic. Whether there is any mileage(sic) in the heat issue I can't say but that front unit placed where it is is a cause for thought / speculation. After all, excessive heat into car callipers leads to boiling of the fluid at the piston face, leading to excessive brake travel. Only properly instrumented testing will bear out any of these theories. Time consuming and costly. Therefore we wont be waiting on Honda to do it!

4. Dartmoor Dave

I can only say Dennis, is that the owners handbook says that at the abs operating speed, about 5mph, can lead to "Fluctuations in the pedal/lever feel". I'm assuming the light may flash as well? I'll look out for mine next time but I have not experienced any of the concerns yet. Lever is firm at all times.

5. Dartmoor Dave

As a follower of these threads, it may disable the abs but it won't fix any defect because the fluid and hence air, is still in the system. The general opinion is that only reverting to non abs will circumvent that. I have a set of non abs hoses ready to go if I get any trouble. Touch wood, nothing yet.

6. Blackgreg

Blackgreg New Member

Been on the track yesterday, so the abs has been put in the to hard test and now I have 100% confidence in the brakes. It works perfectly.

#226 Blackgreg, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Denis

Denis Active Member

Hi dave
    No my abs light used to come on now and again not necessarily when I was filtering.
    But when I was filtering I was fethering the front brake at low speeds that's when it would come back to the bar
    I have replaced the ecu now and bled it (there was some air in there ) the lever is a lot firmer now but i still have the light coming back on
    Need to check the latest fault code

8. travellingkiwi

I do too. Every time. Right up till they fail... again...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blackgreg

Blackgreg New Member

I couldn't fault them at all. It will get another test on the 15th of May again. So far I cant complain.

10. travellingkiwi

Could be their problem actually... Work fine on a track. Fail in traffic. Because Honda probably thought if it works on a track it'll be fine in traffic..

11. Slick

Slick Elite Member

trackday 160mph ish abs failure but no light, skip to 1:54 (avoid my feeble attempt to get my knee down:mad:)

ABS is fecking awesome until it doesn't work, its one of those things that needs to be 100% all of the time.

#231 Slick, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Now now @Slick your scare mongering the masses out of the delusion Honda wouldn't put their customers at risk by selling a faulty product that has major safety implications!!! :eek:

#232 ShinySideUp, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

That logic doesn't work either kiwi as Honda produced and sold an HRC race spec (track only use sticker on it the lot!) abs ecu but that then turned into one of the many ecu upgrade iterations that Honda have pushed out but even with the multiple revisions of the abs ecu Honda didn't recall or upgrade the older revisions unless the customer complained and pushed the issue with the dealer..........which well you know the same dealers that haven't seen or heard of any abs issues coming through the Honda dealer network! :rolleyes:

14. auag

auag Active Member

I don't own a related bike but have followed this story for a good while.
    What strikes me is how Honda have escaped litigation by now.
    I am absolutely convinced these accounts, of a not fit for sale system, are true, nobody would make this up about a bike they otherwise love.
    However, has it thankfully been the case that no one has so far been seriously injured or killed by an eC-ABC failure?
    Perhaps I am lucky to have the means to do so, but if I experienced something as described I would not accept even a replacement bike. How have Honda escaped.. so far?

15. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

You have asked the $60mill question a lot have people have wondered

The way the fault identifies itself, pull front brake lever, nothing, total brake failure, pull it again, brakes work, in the case of a fatal, when the bike is tested...........you know the answer already

The one constant here is that reports of the issue surfaced from riders worldwide from the outset, so the question is simple, is this one bizarre global conspiracy by owners who have purchased these machines to make all this up?
    If so, what would be their end game?

Answers on a postcard to Honda

16. slasherr

slasherr Active Member

Is there any option for a crowd funded group action against Honda. I believe the momentum generated by the negative press will be sufficient to convince Honda to stop lying and start treating their customers with respect.

• Like Like x 1
  17. auag

auag Active Member

I don't have an eC-ABS bike but I'd contribute to a litigation with pleasure.
    These situations only exist because the appellant gives up.
    Honda are playing poker.

18. maniac marc

maniac marc New Member

hi to anyone that has abs problems I have uploaded the abs self diagnosis process from the Haynes manual and Honda in Chiswick charged me £260 to bleed brakes as mine going spongy like everyone else and they still cant fix problem now tell me I need new front master cyclinder will fit a brembo race one(£205) as its cheaper than original Honda one(£260) and I don't think this is problem will keep post of how i fix it. was so pissed I searched internet till I found the abs brake bleeding process I have uploaded it here hope it helps out with some peoples problem

Attached Files:

19. maniac marc

maniac marc New Member

hi to anyone that has abs problems I have uploaded the abs self diagnosis process from the Haynes manual and Honda in Chiswick charged me £260 to bleed brakes as mine going spongy like everyone else and they still cant fix problem now tell me I need new front master cyclinder will fit a brembo race one(£205) as its cheaper than original Honda one(£260) and I don't think this is problem will keep post of how i fix it. was so pissed I searched internet till I found the abs brake bleeding process I have uploaded it here hope it helps out with some peoples problem

Attached Files:

20. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member