Important Notice - Please Read If You own an ABS 2009 Onwards Model

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by jimglasgow, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Naz

Naz Active Member

Despite the problems I've complained about, the dealer has put the bike straight up for sale.

When i originally complained they all said the same, "first time I'm hearing of this" as the conversation carried on over time and days and weeks they all slipped up, and finally on returning the bike after doing all the paperwork they admitted there's a problem! What bastards.

2. DeeFireBlade

DeeFireBlade New Member

Dealers have no concern whatsoever for the safety of riders/public!! Horrific.

Do you mind saying which garage you took your bike to? Worth complaint the issue to Honda UK

3. Naz

Naz Active Member

This was a Nottingham dealer, If you read through the threads you will see Honda Uk don't give a damm, and there customer service is almost nonexistent, they claim they never had a complaint despite the numerous numbers of people who have been complaining with the incident ref numbers. Don't waste your time with them, it will just get your back up.

Johns of Romfords have always been honest with me, so i get on ok with them. Reality is you will only know how good a dealer is when you have a problem and by the way they respond to it.

4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Waste of time....they all reading off the same hymn sheet!

5. Naz

Naz Active Member

Your right without a doubt,

6. gawain53

gawain53 New Member

Did they really do that?
    Can't believe, they are playing with our safety and do nothing but making
    excuses and laughing at us...

After having two Honda motorbikes and two Honda cars, I feel really disappointed...maybe not any other Honda for me

7. HRCboy

HRCboy New Member

Picked up a 14 plate ABS Blade on Saturday, I wasn't aware of this issue (although I work for a BMW bike dealer) and low and behold, an hour after picking it up, while filtering through heavy traffic it happens twice. The bike is absolutely fantastic, but I need to monitor this and see if it is something I can live with. My experience with BMW is that they would have handled it a lot more professionally. Coincidentally the previous owner p/x'd it for a RR, maybe now I know why!

8. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

What mileage is on it? Has it had its full brake bleed & change yet? Because it's expensive some folks get shut of the bike before its due. This happened to me. If it's not behaving then it'll need the bleed. Had mine done a few months ago again & it's fine now.

9. auag

auag Active Member

Don't monitor it or allow them to touch it. Reject the bike and request a full refund. Even if resolved, for now, the system is ridiculously complicated.
    Don't expect Honda to do the right thing with any major issue, those days are long gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I agree with @auag
    Take it back
    Mine was a 3yr old pcp bike with the standard 12k on when i bought it from a Honda dealership. Didn't know about the abs issues then & it wasn't until it started playing up & I read up about the problem & checked the paperwork sevicing etc that it became obvious that it had never had the full bleed as required.

11. HRCboy

HRCboy New Member

Thanks for the replies gents. I didn't mention that I bought it as a trade sale, so it was cheap £7250, 14 plate with 3,000 miles on it. I do not have the option to return it. I do work part time for a Honda dealer and spoke to the service manager today, I was halfway through explaining the issue when they smiled and said "I know where this is going". The explanation was "during slow speed feathered braking the electronics get a bit confused". So it is faulty then.

12. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

Faulty due to design and/or engineering faults. Honda have just been complete ****s about it. The only response I ever got from them was laughter.

Never again Honda.

H

13. HRCboy

HRCboy New Member

H, I am totally with you. I have owned so many different makes of bikes over the years, but never (apart from a motocross bike) a Honda. I was really looking forward to this, and I do think it is an awesome bike, but as a fault, it can't get any serious than this. Went for a ride today without any filtering through traffic, and didn't have any problems, but on approaching a corner, and braking at a point where you really need them to work, there is always that doubt.
    At totally the other end of the customer experience, many a time a RR will come in with problems, be well past its warranty period and BMW will sort the problem at no, or little cost to the owner. Quite astounding, when Honda show such a total lack of interest.
    I emailed Honda customer services yesterday regarding the problem, stating my reg number, and the model of bike, and I receive a reply this morning banging on about "my car needs to taken to a Dealership" never before have I bought something and felt such a f@ck off from the manufacture. Well done Honda, the first and last.

#273 HRCboy, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  14. auag

auag Active Member

The only litre sportsbike I'd consider replacing my 2007s with is a BM.
    From the showrooms to the product's reputation they are light years ahead of Honda.
    Why when the eC-ABS faults started being reported did Honda not recall and fix it, I've no idea. I'm told in times past they would've, so what changed 2008 onwards?

15. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

VFR1200f engine replaced after 6 years and 48000km after a full failure
    honda payed for :
    complete new engine
    fluids
    the whole work
    first 1000 km check
    11300 euro +/-

About the cbs abs , i can say 90% of problems from -> 2012 models are just due lazy/ not prepared dealer
    bleed the system on the right way , also with the HRC procedure

about BMW quality : well think u wanna kidding......:D

16. HRCboy

HRCboy New Member

That's very impressive. I think you have mis understood, this is not a BMW are better than Honda bashing. I believe that certain parts of the Honda are much better than BMW, and vice a versa. I also agree regarding some of the BMW build quality. As I say I'm not trying to bash Honda, but I don't believe that they have handled this whole situation very well.

17. auag

auag Active Member

I think you are a very forgiving person.
    Honda have sold you a bike with a braking system that you know from the dealer's own testimony is known as defective, that by using as you reasonably would do, in filtering traffic, has a known chance of complete failure, and is not isolated to one bike but common across the 08-16 eC-ABS fleet.
    To compare this situation to the occasional and very isolated examples of Honda showing goodwill for random mechanical failure is, is in my opinion, to wilfully miss the point.
    You have every right to bash Honda, they are a corporate disgrace.
    If you choose to use the bike I hope you are safe, but if it were me, I would litigate and use whatever form of bad publicity was necessary to make Honda buy the bike back off me and fully cover my costs.

18. HRCboy

HRCboy New Member

I agree with your every word, however for what I paid (£64/month on PCP deal) I do not wish to return it. Should I have more money tied up in it, particularly if I had bought a new one, I would be spitting feathers, and probably making a bit of a nuisance of myself in Honda UK reception. Went out last night and it was all ok apart from one case of having the lever come back closer to the bar. Honda, you should be ashamed to disrespect your customers in this way. I was going to sell the Harley and buy a new Africa Twin, you won't be getting a new registration and anymore money from me!

19. Mo82

Mo82 New Member

- hi guys
    Here we go I can say I joined the club my 2010 abs started with the abs light on Switch ignetion off n back on battery went flat

20. Dartmoor Dave

Dartmoor Dave Active Member

Last summer(the 3 days in the SW) I was at the burger van on the outskirts of Great Torrington, when a couple of older bretheren on 2 bikes called in. One on a 2017 CBR with only the first service under the clock and we got onto the perennial topic of brakes. He knew all about the ABS history and between chewing announced that only the day before he had arrived at a T junction to have his new Bosch ABS allow the lever to come right back and him run out into the main road saved only by the back brake and a dry surface. I was interested to say the least and wonder what response if any he got from his dealer. If he's still alive. So it looks like the ABS black cloud may not yet be dispersed?