Insurance Brokers

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by bladey, Dec 2, 2020.

1. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Anyone had problems with brokers rather than insurance companies? I dropped my last bike, was on the side stand but I went in for a last pee before the ride and came out to find it on its rt hand side so may have been pushed. Broken brake lever and dents/scratches etc in several places. Anyway, phoned the brokers. They sent a white van to collect it the next day. All signed and sealed etc. After a week got a phone call to say "right off".
    "NO! I said, get real".
    Decided to phone insurance co, big well known name. They hadn't been informed of the accident, didn't know where the bike was and took particulars.
    Long and short of it - after a couple of days they came back saying the bike was with the brokers own repair service in Liverpool (I'm outside Bury St Edmunds) and did I want them to reclaim it and get it fixed with their's.
    I said yes.
    Another week and get told it's now in Surrey. But, I get called from the repairers who discuss all the work, tell me if I can go with the scratches on the swing arm it'll be a fix not a RO. "And anyway, we'll polish 'em out for you" :) The bike was 10 years old so had a few marks.
    In the end it was nearly 8 weeks before I got it back but it came back better than new, absolutely perfect and the company rep said they were not using that broker anymore as the RO was likely a scam to re sell it.
    You get right buggers in every business I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

Insurers fault for allowing a middle man (broker) to adjudicate on claims. Ridiculous notion as so obvious it can promote a conflict of interest.
    Doesn't surprise me a bike gets shipped around the world though most insurers have centralised contracts now for claims work.
    Mine went from Northumberland to London to be assessed ! Like there are NO bike shops up norf!!

3. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I'm surprised you have to make a claim for a 10 year old bike. What NEEDED doing and how much was the repair cost in the end?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Hi Kevin1
    The bike was my old Repsol 2010 but in perfect nick. As I said the brake lever had snapped but also the rt hand mirror/indicator smashed, tank had a scrape and a dent, footpeg broken, side fairing and exhaust scratched badly and general other paintwork bits. My thought is you don't pay a premium and then do it yourself plus I didn't have the time or expertise to do any of this properly. The first quote was for over £5K, which they said would right it off, is why I told them to stick it. No way that was going to run. I paid my xs of £150. Policy didn't go up until I got the 2018 this year. Sounds a lot of damage for a simple drop which is why I thought then someone had come along the pavement (it was parked across it as I got it out of the drive) and shoved it over hard. Lesson learnt.

5. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I wonder if any neighbours of yours have cctv

6. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Decent thought but no. They're all older places and mainly set back a bit from the road, used to be tennant farm worker buildings. Of course there was no one around when I got back out there. I've no proof one way or the other but seemed strange for the bike to fall on the off side from the stand unless there was a quick hurricane. Needless to say I've not parked it there again.

7. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I am shocked to hear the broker (s) is now also on the scaming band wagone. I think you need to name & shame them.
    In my experience, it has always been the insurer's loss assesor inspecting the bike.

Another one to add to the headache list

8. bladey

bladey Senior Member

I threw all the paperwork away after it had been settled (pissed off with them) but the insurance co that rescued it all was Aviva. Their rep on the phone bent over backwards to help and reassure. I was with Honda's own bike insurance till they passed it over some years back, that went with another broker who then passed it on as far as I know. The repairs were done by 4th Dimension in Surrey. Fantastic job, and phone every week to keep me updated. 100%.

9. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I used norwich union (aviva's previous name) a lot for cars and bike. They were good when I made a claim after a bike mishap. At the time they paid for the full work to be carried out by honda authorised dealer + all OEM parts.
    Incidently my broker helped a great deal after my initial disappointing contact with the insurer.

Would you care to name the broker?

10. bladey

bladey Senior Member

I would do if I find any paperwork or email evidence. As I said, I chucked all their stuff after the repair was taken over by 4th D. Sort of "sod you" moment.