Insurance escalation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Black & White, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

Shit the bed!
    Last year my insurance was £170 fully comp for my Blade & a VTR 1000 on the same policy.
    Got taken off my Blade last May, so claimed against the 3rd party on a no fault basis.
    Insurance quotes are now £435 for just the blade. WTFF!!! (What the effing eff?!)
    How can this be? Anyone else been so disgruntled that they fancy driving into the first Bugatti they see?

2. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I had a Subaru, had a crash but had full protected no claims
    £350 before £550 after
    Licence to print money:mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

£128 last year; fully comp no claims protected on my RR7. Binned it and got the RRB; insurance then £250 a year. Renewal; £1300. With bennetts. Can get all mods declared with them for £300. Make the rules up as they go along mate! You’ll never f’ing win either. They know you have to have it!
    Back in the day it was cheaper for me to get caught without, pay the fine and lose the vehicle than it was to pay for the insurance!

when I was 22 I had a 3.5 litre v6 Nissan 350z - £10k car value - cost to insure £640 fully comp.
    next car was a fucked Astra diesel estate worth fuck all - cost to insure £700 fully comp.

Same house, same everything, just the car change! WTF! Nothing makes sense, it’s like the tv program Lost!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brom66

Brom66 Well-Known Member

Regrettably leaving bemoto this term, from around £500 to just under £1000.
    Can get ZZR with Bennetts for £140, SP2 £430 with MCE or Bikesure, all multi bike quote are in excess of £700:mad:

Skippy are even cheaper:confused:

5. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Bike stolen from hotel. As there was no 3rd party to claim from it was classed as my fault?
    Fully comp and protected. Still went up nearly £300

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Black & White

Did the dislike not because I dislike your comment. I dislike the insurance companies. It's not as if we want our bike stolen & are deliberately negligent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Black & White

Despite their daylight robbery, are Bennett's any good?
    I'm really reluctant to go anywhere near MCE. I wouldn't put it past those tossers to charge you more if you fit new tyres!
    I wonder if we're all paying for the insurance costs of the flooding claims. Or is it Brexit?!

8. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Previously £160 fully comp with full no claims but rose to 780 after a non fault claim(RAC) fecking joke

Best I could find was £270 with Bike Sure

9. raphael

raphael Elite Member

My premium was 130 comp, protected, the lot! got taken out by a van who was charged with careless driving while at the scene.
    My next quote with Bennetts went up to £1200 Even though it was a 100%non fault claim and the greedy fuckers wouldn’t even pay The 99 quid to get the accident report the police told me was complete and in my favour.
    I did all the leg work gathering witness statements as they weren’t doing a thing.

10. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

They paid out quickly for my bike but comms were seriously lacking. Cost me £40 to phone the about the court summons I received.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Black & White

That's a shocker! They really seem to do nothing except take your money. I was with MCE & got taken off by a car changing lanes without looking. MCE's solicitors (Fletchers) recommended I accept half the blame. I told them to do one & got another solicitor on the case who said Fletchers were full of shit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Black & White

I thought the price increase was due to my non-fault accident, but I amended my details (Go Compare) & omitted the accident. That made a difference of around £20. Bumping up the voluntary excess so it totalled £1100 made a big difference.

13. Abb

Abb Active Member

I had the same experience recently (weeks ago) and my renewal premium more than doubled to over £300. Despite no claims or change in circumstance.

Did some online quotes and went with Bennetts in the end (£140) for an all singing & dancing policy (incl breakdown, legal, leathers cover etc). All the extras totalled in excess of £200 but increased my policy by approx £40....go figure

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Black & White

Did you go direct or via a comparison site?

15. Abb

Abb Active Member

Comparison site....compare the market. Was the same as confused, but obv get the cinema ticket and meal deals with the meerkat! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Abb

Abb Active Member

Oh and if you use the cashback site (quidco) you get a % of your spend back too!

17. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I always compare prices and so normally chop and change insurers quite regularly. Have been with MCE for a few years as they remained the cheapest, but have never stayed with Bennetts as their renewals are always ridiculously high.

As for paying out Bennetts were pretty good back in 2009 when I wrote the bike off and ot was my fault, but that is the only bike insurer I have ever claimed off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Thank christ Nigel is no longer here. :D

• Funny Funny x 8