Insurance fraud/identity theft. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mk3golfcab, Oct 5, 2019.

1. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

hi all,

Received two letters this morning from an insurance company to give me notice of intention to cancel an insurance policy and that the policy is cancelled.

The vehicle registration is not affiliated to me and hasn’t been. After calling the insurer the D.O.B on the policy was not mine. As the policy has been cancelled by the insurer and so has the finance for the policy I wondered where I stand? And what to do next?

I’ve already reported it to action fraud but not sure what to do. It hasn’t cost me anything financially but I am worried it may have an impact on my credit rating.

Has anyone suffered anything like this? If you have what actions did you take and what affects did it have on your information?

Thanks in advance!

2. Abb

Abb Active Member

I have had this happened to me a couple of times! I did manage to get to the bottom of how my details were obtained (I am ultra conscious of this ID theft so take all necessary precautions). Again, like yourself I contacted the companies involved, and despite all the assurances I kept receiving letters from them for monies owed, so I would expect some more correspondence!

However you have done the number one must do, and that is to contact https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/.

It shouldn't affect your credit rating (mine wasn't), but you need to go online and change all passwords for any sites you use (albeit there is contradictory evidence to suggest that passwords don't do much in the event of hackers using certain types of software).

Any letters you receive from any company relating to the id theft, just contact them and make them aware you have been a victim of id theft and make a log of time, date and the name of the person you spoke to and keep them all together, Inform them you have reported it to AF and provide your ref number if they ask.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Thanks buddy that’s a great help. Wasn’t sure of any further implications it may cause me in the future. Thanks for all the advice :):)

4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

My advice is always consider “What if?’ - Telephone calls are great to quickly raise concerns etc, but its essential you follow everything you discuss/agree in a telephone conversation with a recorded delivery letter or (in this day and age) an email and always request a confirmation reply.

Hopefully it’ll never raise its head again, but if it surfaces in the future and there is no written record, you can be out on a limb. The person you speak to today may have left the business and if they don’t record it correctly, in the eyes of the law it never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I had it happen to me when I was out of country for a while. I, apparently, had a home in Texas that had gone into foreclosure.

I was able to prove it wasn't me, but it took years for the negative ratings to be removed from my credit reports.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. That’s the thing I love about here. So many people willing to share help and experiences about any subject - not just the blades

• Like Like x 1