Insurance renewals

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by CharlieR85, Aug 2, 2018.

1. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Had 3 insurance renewals through the post in our house last month. My car, wife's car and home insurance. Each of them on an auto renewal and each of them 20%+ dearer than last year despite no claims in the year.

I'm taking a stand. Rang all of them up and told them i wouldn't be renewing. Each of them asked if they can try and improve my premium so I said I won't be doing that anymore. If they don't want to send me the best price then I'm not interested. Fed up of them making it up as they go along.

So that's 3 changes of provider in 1 month! My bikes are both up for renew with Bemoto in February, I'm hoping they don't make me change provider aswell because I really like them :rolleyes:

Auto renew + price hike should be outlawed. Anybody else on board with my crusade? :D

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I've got your back, Charlie! I have already vented anger on this forum about insurance practices. The 'negotiation-over-the-phone-after-you-reject-the-first-price' is another thing I won't enter into. I recently posted about Aviva and my car insurance, and ended up 100 quid cheaper with eSure. You might want to consider them.

I'll be trying Bemoto again next year for my bikes. (They wouldn't cop my SP2 in March:confused:). For the present I'm with MCE. Yes, I've complained about them also, but they represent the best of the murky pool.

The auto-renew is a trap for many because we inadvertently agree to it through 'hidden' terms and conditions. Consumer law SHOULD provide that if a person signs/agrees to a contract for one-year, then that's it. End of story. The business is entitled to send a reminder at the 11th month, but should not be permitted to simply engage a new contract. Unfortunately, this is a reverse liability as the onus is on us - the consumer - to ensure that we HAVE NOT committed to auto-renew.

I had also suggested in an earlier thread that forum members would carry a lot of weight as a bulk proposal to selected insurers. Even if we were to be offered just 10% bulk discount, that would be significant. No one responded to my suggestion, but there are many 'user groups' who benefit from such collaboration. I'd even be prepared to put in the hard yards myself with initial representations.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have been in a similar situation thos last month.

My car insurance was up for renewal. I have a multi car policy so the wife's car is also covered with the same renewal date.

Insurers wanted an additional £90 on renewal so I phoned up to cancel, but long story short, I ended up paying £20 a year less than I did last year which was cheap enough. I just could not be fagged to go through the aggravation of having to shop around. B

But to get it £20 cheaper than last year, I am well happy.

Then my Green Flag renewal came through and they wanted an extra £25. I had not made any claims and was given 2 years bonus but it was still £25 more on renewal.

Anyway, long story short, I entered all my details as a new customer and guess what? It was cheaper than I paid last year. So I called them up to cancel.

Operator explained that the rise in premium was because my car is now another year older.

"So" says I, "Why is it when I put exactly the same details into your search engine but as a new customer it is actually cheaper than I paid last year not to mention the fact that you have allowed 2 years no claims discount?"

Surprise surprise and in fairness, he price matched the online quote probably becaue he was embarrased at his bullshit about vehicle age, who knows.

Just pleased that for the sake of a couple of phone calls I have made 2 substantial savings for the coming year, but I did make the point to both that they do not generate loyalty when they keep putting their prices up meaning that many people either leave and go elsewhere or cancel their policy.

The guy at the Insurance company did admit that it annoys the hell out of him and his colleagues but it is something to do with the computer programme they use (I don't understand these things) and it was much better in the says when it was all done by phone from the outset.

Saved me a lot of messing around though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Good results there @T.C

I think most of us get it and the insurance companies get it, however there is obviously plenty of folks who do not consider the time/effort/savings of shopping around worth their time OR those people think that brand/company loyalty counts for something - in my experience these seem to be the older generation but not exclusively.

I have to battle every year with Sky TV and normally get 50/60% discount; same with RAC - I've been with them for 17 years and every year we do the merry discount dance; I've told them that I am prepared to swallow a small increase of a few pounds as we know that with everything prices are hiked but they take were taking the p*** this year with a £70 increase!

5. Naz

Naz Active Member

I had also suggested in an earlier thread that forum members would carry a lot of weight as a bulk proposal to selected insurers. Even if we were to be offered just 10% bulk discount, that would be significant. No one responded to my suggestion, but there are many 'user groups' who benefit from such collaboration. I'd even be prepared to put in the hard yards myself with initial representations.[/QUOTE]

I think that’s an excellent idea to get a bulk discount, there are a lot of collective energy supplier changes where people save massively although that’s different to insurance the principal would be the same. But how would this be done? you would need a serious commitment from everyone and some how list everyone’s renewal dates for a proposal to be put forward to the insurance companies

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I do not foresee logistic difficulties. Forum members would simply provide an exclusive code as given by the selected insurer. This process works with many 'member group' concessions. The difficulty though, is that most of the insurance contacts are brokers rather than direct insurers, so their point of view might be that they're going to get the business anyway, so why discount?

However, I will draft some preliminary enquiries over the weekend (between MotoGP telecasts) and update on a separate thread so I'm not seen to be taking over @CharlieR85 's thunder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have just sent you a message.

I have set you some details of a person at an insurance company who I think will be quite excited at the thought of being able to arrange something with you.

Hope it is of some help to you...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. hitch

hitch Elite Member

This is getting interesting now...mine wont run out until Jan but I'm keeping a keen eye on this thread

We have faith in you @nigelrb

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

Mine runs out at end of August so get cracking :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Feel free to use this thread @nigelrb

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Lol

12. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

I ditched SKY last year. Saving me a fortune.

13. hitch

hitch Elite Member

How do you watch the footy :eek:

14. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

I have bt Internet so get bt sport reasonable cheap. Plus I tend not to watch much football; I already know Man C will win the Premiership.

15. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Mine too!!!

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

UPDATE.

In between races today, I am editing/fine tuning my proposal letter for selected insurance companies/brokers, commencing with a business recommended by @T.C .

Will be emailed this evening for receipt first-up tomorrow (Monday 6/8).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Just changed my insurer and have insured with LV, didn’t realise they insured bikes, £205 fully comp, commuting, Euro cover and protected no claims, no other quote got close.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

£124 fully comp with Bennett's, ,7 years ncd , for an RR7,

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Submission to first company acknowledged. Response in part is:

"This certainly sounds like something which we would want to get involved with. Due to holidays some of the key decision makers aren’t around at the moment, so please don’t expect an immediate response, but I will make sure this proposal is put in front of the right people here and we will see what we can put together for you."
    Will update when further advice to hand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Naz

Naz Active Member

Cheers Nigel, appreciate you taking time away from admiring your bikes to do this and I’m sure everyone else does as well!

Hopefully we might all save a good amount if this all goes through!

• Thanks Thanks x 1