Insurance time!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by mk3golfcab, Feb 4, 2021.

1. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Well that's the thing. I have a few things stopping me, I have a huge attachment to this bike. It owes me nothing and the insurance last year was 300 quid roughly. Although that's still about £1 per mile for what I covered in 2020 o_O That is down to me though.

I definitely cant justify changing to something more expensive as that's just more money with no guarantee I will make any more use of it. I do like the thought of moving to a super naked or something I will commute more on, maybes do a euro trip if that will be a thing in the next year or so. Basically something more versatile than a fast road setup sports bike.

I will get a migraine if I think about it too much :D No doubt I will be saying the same thing in 12 months time.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Member

Well I've covered around 15k miles on my 2017 RA-H and I'd say around 12K of those were commuting miles in and out of London 5 days per week in all weather. I've found the bike easy to commute on - mirrors are well below the height of van mirrors and the bike's small enough to weave through traffic. The one thing I couldn't live without though is the quickshifter - this is an absolute must for me for commuting. When I had the loan CB500F, not only did it feel heavier and bigger than my blade, the lack of quickshifter just made commuting much more painful.

I've thought about getting a Street Triple RS 765 or other more upright bikes, but for commuting I think I'd have issues with the mirrors. The only downside of the fireblade for me is my bones are getting older and occasionally I get cramp in my thigh which can make me look like a right wally!

3. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Well-Known Member

Yeah I had both Street and Speed and in heavy traffic the placement of the mirrors were a bit of a pain in the arse. I ended up having to do a handlebar waggle or risk damage sometimes. I even considered seeing if I could find some to go under the bars. Shame as the rest of the package was spot on for commuting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Sports bikes definitely make good commuters, to be honest adding commuting to my list is just me trying to justify a possible new direction. I dont even live where the bike is kept at the minute so it's a non starter for me really :D

I went and uncovered the bike yesterday for the first time since about June :oops: Think im going to get an MOT booked in the next few weeks before the insurance runs out then see how I feel. In about 6 weeks time I will have bought a daft set of wheels and some unneeded carbon bits knowing me :rolleyes:

20210218_193422_copy_2016x1512.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Bennett’s £297 for the year, up from £225 for last year. The policy has all the bells and whistles but a £400 excess. I will be on the phone tomorrow to see if I can barter them down.